Little Pop or will hand get blow off if I plug this in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to do and film it remotely for safety, however how much danger would one be in by plugging the below contraption in to a socket?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
That 16v cap won't last very long with 230v across it so you'll get a little pop and that's about it. It might make a bit of a mess inside the plug but it's a tiny cap so I think you'll be disappointed

Sponsored Links
Result: Very anticlimactic, all it did was trip the 20A B type MCB. Not even a pop or a skid mark inside. I guess the Cap's ESR must have been very low.

I have also found MCBs are no good for this sort of experiment, I am forever tripping the 32A MCB. 3036 all the way!

Capacitors, hmm. 4" steel pipe stuck vertically into the ground. Build fire around pipe. Drop full aerosol can into pipe and stand back. Fun for all pyrotechnic personalities, and cheaper than fireworks from the posh garden centre. Wear safety specs.

I heated up a small old capacitor with a hot air gun to watch the top split open. Not noticing that the old design didn't have the score marks that allow it to vent in a controlled manner, the can blew off from the rubber end bung with the most tremendous bang, and with such force it cracked the PCB it was on. My ears were ringing, it was like a gunshot! A number of neighbours came out of their houses to see what was going on! Oops!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back