Load bearing? / How to find an structural engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to remove a wall. We have had various builders round to give us quotes for this and other work.

Some say it is load bearing, or they think it is - others say it is not.

I lifted a couple of floorboards today to try and have a look. There is no wall above it.

However if removed the joists would run from the front to rear of the house, which to me seems a long way. This is on 50% of the house - the other side the joists run across the lounge.

Is there any way to tell for sure? This picture is taken beneath the floorboards

How do I go about finding a structural engineer in Kent - is there an easy way, like with other trades (third party site?) or simply a case of using the yellow pages or other directories?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Jeeeezus! If a builder can't tell you if a wall is load bearing while it's there in front of them, then I'd not let them loose on any building work

They think it is not, however....

The span would be 17' 7" and the joists are 7" x 2" - this would go from the front wall to the rear wall.

I am not sure if that is allowed?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
They think it is not, however....

The span would be 17' 7" and the joists are 7" x 2" - this would go from the front wall to the rear wall.

Thanks.
You won't span 17' 7" with 7x2s.
So the wall is load bearing, and if you want to remove it you are going to require a beam to resupport the joists.

Thanks - the joists currently run from front to rear.

I will get a structural engineer in to draw up the beam for the builders etc.

Thanks.

It could be allowed, if you don't mind your ceiling downstairs looking like a banana, and the bedroom floor acting like a trampoline every time you walk on it. (or do anything else in the bedroom?):)

Doesn't that image actually show the joist resting on the top of the wall :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back