Load bearing length of RSJ

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a couple of RSJs in our new extension. They are connected like a T. The ends of the T are on something call pads (a special concrete block). Is my understanding correct that they RSJ must have at least 150mm of length that is bearing on these concrete pads?

You can see the pad in the lower arrow.

Sponsored Links
No, it's down to what the SE report has the bearings being.
How much have you got and what did the report say?

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
That drawing makes no sense. The drawing is of steel beams, but the text says to use a standard steel lintel - IG L1/s.

Bearings don't need to be 150mm anyway.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
the text says to use a standard steel lintel - IG L1/s

So that's what IG L1/s means! Thank you. OK, in that case it refers to the lintel above the bifolds, which are about 4m wide. (I should probably say that this is currently the only sheet that I have seen from the structural engineer.)

Bearings don't need to be 150mm anyway.

Why state it then?

All literature for lintels, and designs will state an end bearing, and that will typically be of 150 mm.

This allows a factor for safety and error, but normal loading can typically mean that 100mm is sufficient. The engineer has probably stated 150 as that is in the lintel literature, so he does not have to prove it by calculation.

It can be a lazy way to specify.

But ultimately it will depend on the end loading and the bearing capacity for the lintel over the span.

• Thanks
I think I know what is going on here. This page of the report just shows B1 connecting to B2, and then goes on to talk about the steel lintel for the bifolds. Obviously I need to see the rest of the report as the earlier pages will have more detail on B1 and B2. Thank you woody.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back