Loads of moisture + mould around the windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are getting loads of moisture appear around the windows in both bedrooms. The wet only seems to appear when you wake up in the morning and has caused mould to grow within 6 months.

I'm aware that buying a dehumidifier would solve this, but I would rather fix the problem itself rather then buy something to stop it affecting us. The only problem is i don't know what would cause it, do any of you have any ideas?

I have attached a few photos of the amount we are getting.

Many thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
The problem is that the windows don't have trickle vents and nor do you probably open them often enough.

The only real cure is to stop breathing when you sleep. Alternatively opening the windows a little at night would fix it.

Its condensation - as can be seen on the glass.

That same moisture is condensing on the cold walls and allowing mould to grow.

Vent the windows at night to get a bit of air moving. Or get some trickle vents fitted to the frame

If its a major problem and you can't ventilate, then line the window reveals and head with uPVC board. But then you risk the same moisture just condensing elsewhere instead

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone.

We don't really put cloths on radiators or anything like that. But we do sleep with the door closed.

I cant see any trickle vents around the windows, can these be 'retro fitted' cheaply?

The window does seem to have a slightly open setting, so I have gone with that for tonight and opened the bedroom door. Hopefully we shall wake up tomorrow to no water :)

Opening the window at night will work, though at the cost of a colder bedroom.

Alternatively you need to raise the temperature of the surfaces experiencing condensation, the windows are likely rather poor quality, long term you might want to replace them.

If you do replace the windows you want to look at the likely cold bridging from the lintel over the window, and around the window frame, making sure the window is set within the insulation layer (if you have any), or adding insulation as necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back