lock for front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitting new front door frame etc,, white oak engineered frame and door. Currently have a UPVC with 5 point locking.. Looking around for suitable lock for new door and came across the set in the link below as like the idea of single key for both.. SDS London

Anyone tell me if these will be ok and up to the job. or should i be looking elsewhere.

Cheers JB

http://www.sdslondon.co.uk/sds-secu...htlatch-dlock-keyed-alike-for-44-mm-door.html

Sponsored Links
Only my opinion but I'd go for a traditional mortice rather than the Euro kind.....maybe less chance of bumping the lock?
You are in the right price bracket though!
On my own door (mahogany) I have the nightlatch, mortice lock with handle and another mortice lock (no handle) at about knee height.
John :)

Only my opinion but I'd go for a traditional mortice rather than the Euro kind.....maybe less chance of bumping the lock?
I agree, mortise lock much more secure than night latch, however, you can get anti-bump, anti-pick, anti-snap Euro barrels or the Avocet ABS anti-bump type which won't resist snapping, but which deny access if they are snapped. We have a 3-way espagnolette with a high security Euro on our front door, plus hinge bolts. Just looks like an ordinary door, not Fort Knox

you need to fit either a 5 lever dead lock or a lever/latch set.
your insurance will probably stipulate this aswell.

Sponsored Links
you need to fit either a 5 lever dead lock or a lever/latch set.
your insurance will probably stipulate this aswell.
That was once the case, however some insurers now permit high-security Euro barrels. Mine certainly does

So the lock set in the link is good/no good. Avid diyer but not a chippy .. The web site states British standard 3621:2004. Which my insurance co accepts ..
If not the one in the link can someone point me to a site that has what i need ..

Sorry to be vague but know a bit about 5 point lock , bug nightlatches etc get a tad confusing confusing.. To me anyway 😜

Ta JB

The web site states British standard 3621:2004. Which my insurance co accepts ..
Ask your insurer and get them to respond in writing, or an email. That's what I did

I had already called them and they sated my policy wording below. So can see from SDS website they meet that requirement. just was looking for more guidance on reputable make, brand, type.

219. Minimum Security clause
Loss or damage arising from unauthorised entry to the Property is excluded unless the following minimum protections are fitted: External Doors: where appropriate

(a) 5 Lever Mortice Deadlocks to British Standard 3621,
(b) mortice security bolts or other key-operated locks to British Standard 3621 in addition to the existing locks or
(c) multi-point locking systems.

Thanks, JB

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back