Lockout on Potterton Suprima 60 Boiler - lock out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had this boiler now for about 7 yrs and it has not been a good experience.

1st problem was the heating engineer, who installed the non return valve on the wrong side of the expansion bottle, so the pressure build on heating up had no where to expand to, so caused a few leaks in radiator valves and perforated radiators.
Result: Fixed that with help from here by moving the non-return valve

About 2 yrs ago I suffered from constant lockouts.
Result: Fixed that by removing the PCB and re-soldering all the major joints especially all that relate to the connectors. Lots were dry joints.

Started locking out again recently. This time it was lack of water due to a small leak in the bypass valve (apparently bypass valve reduces pump noise when system is on pump overun)
Result: Fixed that leak.

More lockouts in last few days. Thought for £20 I'll replace the overheat and temperature sensors. Fitted those and noticed it was not holding the flame for long before shut down. Any fiddling or vibration was causing the flame to die. I narrowed it down to the earth wire thats a return from the ignition sparker, it also returns the flame detector signal to the PCB. This was not a very good connection. Due to constant expansion and contraction the joint was loose. Quick squeeze with a pliars and all is well again.

Potterton Suprima 60 has been a pain in the neck in one way or another, next time its going to be Worcester Bosch or Valliant.

So if yours is sparking but not holding the flame make sure that earth wire is well connected. Its cost me a few hrs of my time messing around with it so I passing this on so maybe it might be of use to you.

Sponsored Links
With regards to the loss of pressure which I thought was a leak in the bypass valve. After further investigation I discovered the pressure vessel needed re-pressurizing. Which I done using a foot pump(instruction under wiki). With the tank re-pressurised the leak stopped and all was well for 2 weeks.
I experienced further lockouts. This time I tracked it down to the flame detect which is also part of the ignition spark system. I noticed that if you wiggled this "red" ht type lead the boiler cut off. I initially thought it was a loose connection but after trying various methods I took it off and twisted the cable 360 degrees and reconnected it. What I mean is hold one end of the cable and rotate the other end 360 degrees. This tightened up the end that is in the flame box and now it works ok. Prior to the twisting there were some frayed ends which are wrapped up in the twisted cable. I think this cable has some resistive properties so maybe the twist is helping with that.

I'm sure it'll lockout again but in the meantime, fingers crossed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back