Loctite 518

Ok, having gone through the Haynes, I think I've sussed the tensioner marks. I have to take the pointer beyond the final position by 7-8mm, turn the engine over a couple of revolutions, check the timing tools all still fit properly and if so back the tensioner off back into the middle of the static index. Which is what I've done! Happy to say it all seems timed correctly. It's actually quite easy when you've done one, and have the relevant tools, would be a nightmare without the tools!

Sponsored Links
Aye, that's similar to the VW one......when it's all done, see if you can twist the belt through 90 deg on its longest run.
If it's too tight it will whine, and flap if it's slack. You've done fine there.
John :)

Aye, that's similar to the VW one......when it's all done, see if you can twist the belt through 90 deg on its longest run.)

To be honest, there isn't a long enough run on the belt that enables me to twist it that far, bearing in mind on this motor the belt drives the water pump too. i can twist it through 45 deg alright though. I'm confident it's as it should be, I should find out later on today. :)

Happy days! Fired up first time in under a second which surprised me really as the fuel rail was empty. Running very smoothly with no leaks or heat problems. Just need a new set of exhaust mounts now, the misfire was shaking the exhaust so badly it was jumping off the mounts. Fingers crossed, job done!

Sponsored Links
Back