Loft Building Regs - still apply or not ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my current house in 2008. The previous owner had started to convert the loft and had building regulations passed for the proposed loft conversion in 2002. He started the conversion but for one thing or another in his life did not complete the job and sold the house (to me).

Before I moved in I had the loft surveyed and nothing was flagged by the surveyor. The purlins and half the new joists were in as per the approved drawings. The roof timbers were strengthened, velux windows in and a gable end window. The owner left me the approved drawings and all the joist timbers, hangers etc... so I just finished off installing the new suspended joists making sure I followed the plans and drawings carefully. I laid a new floor of 19mm t&g chipboard over this as per the approved plans. I left the job at that as there have been plenty more pressing jobs to do in the main living areas. Now all that has been completed my mind is turning back to converting the loft and finally putting a proper staircase in.

As it has been a while would I need to contact local Building control before I proceed any further ?

Sponsored Links
There is usually no time limit for completing a job, though whether this would apply to different owners and with such a long gap may be debatable.
As the work is 10 years old, it woud be adviseable to have a word with building control to establish what inspections, if any, have been done. If they would let you carry on working to the approved plans, that may be helpful cost-wise as insulation thicknesses have increased considerably since then. Means of Escape may also be an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back