loft calculations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys
can anybody tell me how to work out the above so as to determine the steel and timber required for a loft floor, the loft is open and only has one support attatched to the rafters,the loft is 27ft long and 16ft wide the only other thing up there part from rubbish is a chimney stack, i have been told that i only need biuld regs if the space is called a room is that rite?, thanks for any help in advance :D

Sponsored Links
i have been told that i only need build regs if the space is called a room

As opposed to calling it something other than a room :confused:

To upgrade the floor to building regs standards, you will need to submit calcs that have been done by a structural engineer, better dig out the yellow pages and let those fingers do the walking.

It sounds like you may be falling into the its 'but its only light storage' Trap. You do not need BC approval for an area deemed as above.

Loft conversion is, Regs wise, pretty complicated. If you only want light storage fine, take SE advice if necessary and board it out yourself. BUT, if you want a study/ games area/ music room etc etc do it properly. You'll thank yourself when you realize you cant get a desk through a loft hatch anyway and your family will thank you when your home insurance do cover you for the electrical fire up there as opposed to laughing in your face when you have a fire in your light storage area due to a dodgy playstation cable.

But when done right its a great addition to most houses, I love mine!

For the loft to be classified as for light storage only and thus avoiding building regs, I believe you are only allowed to have boarding that is not fixed down, i.e. just sat loose on top of the joists but this may vary between different local authorities

Sponsored Links
For the loft to be classified as for light storage only and thus avoiding building regs, I believe you are only allowed to have boarding that is not fixed down, i.e. just sat loose on top of the joists but this may vary between different local authorities

Yet another Phantom idea someone who told someone, who told someone.... Never heard such rubbish.... It would be unsafe to just lay boarding ontop of any structure not at ground level......So i doubt if ever this has been the case....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back