Loft Conversion and Electric Power ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend is having a loft conversion, he was given a quote which included all works, planning, Architectural plans and structural details and calculations, as a complete package for around £35K.

Work commenced 2 weeks ago, and all is coming along well, now the electricians employed by the C L lofts, are saying that my mate will need a metal CU, as the existing one is made of plastic case, he was told due to new regs. I agreed that new regs only apply to any new installations and or rewiring or where old style plug in fuse box is being replaced by modern RCBO or RCD with MCBs.

However the company now wants him to pay extra for having to remove his old plastic box and replace it with a metal one, but I told my mate that he has to stand his ground and say not a penny more as they should have established this when the surveyor came over before providing a quotation, so this means he should have known that the old CU is plastic and will need to be replaced with a metal one, if that is the case.

On the other hand, is it feasible within the regulations just to provide a seperate metal CU just for loft power? leaving all existing wiring and CU untouched.

The company has been awarded this contract and will not even add an additional twin socket my mate wanted without charging him extra for this additional socket, most contractors or companies would be humbled to throw a few goodies in for free.

Also the company's contractors have been so lazy and lame, thick expensive roofing felt rolls were left outside in his front garden as they could not be arsed to move them in the rear more safer location, and someone took one 0of the rolls away, so my mate had to move two remaining rolls with the help of his wife to save them getting stolen, saving the company around £150.00.

Also my mate is concerned that if they did supply a seperate metal box for loft he may not be able to use POE contraptions/gadgets that require POE, can this be an issue?

Sponsored Links
You again.

No requirement to change the existing consumer unit for metal.

The only reason to do this would be if the existing cu wasn't large enough for new circuits, or it's obsolete and new MCBs or RCBOs are not available.

As you say, an additional cu made of metal should be fine.

Will let my mate know as I am going there to see him to refit his Nest, again he has been ripped off by another boiler replacement company, they quoted him £3,800.00 just to rip out his old vented CH with storage HW tank, due to his upcoming loft conversion, this seperate boiler company fitted him a new Vaillant 838 Ecotech Plus, and left his electric power cable to the boiler dangling dangerously, poking out of the edge of the fused spur, (from under the flush plate) without the outer sheath, and no earth wired, and you can see the blue and brown wires entering into the spur, the boiler end of this cable has not been routed through boiler's proper cable channel and glands, so the rear circuit cover won't shut tight, and they placed a permanent link in his room state (RT) terminal, so that my mate has to switch on heating manually from the boiler and there is no temperature control, they ripped out his Nest thermostat and disconnected his Heat link, did not carry out power flushing, so luckily my mate has not paid them in full yet, for a month now he has been calling them virtually on a daily bases to come and complete the job, they promise him someone will turn up, but no one does, and in the end I am going to have to rewire his Nest for him and connect to his circuit board, and the company will be now reported to trading standards and we have taken all relevant pictures of dangerous wiring and so on and we are hoping to get them to knock off a grand off the price. it is all good and well when people say get professionals, both of these companies are well placed on internet recommended sites, which means all those 5 stars and what not must have been faked by these companies employees and friends.

Sponsored Links
You're mates lucky he's got you as his 'mate' to watch out for him:rolleyes:

DS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back