Loft conversion - store room fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the middle of having a loft conversion done on a 1930s semi. The building inspector came round yesterday. He said he was happy with everything done so far and doesn't need to come back until the insulation is in. Good news. But then he mentioned fire doors.

Our conversion has a bedroom at the rear with a full width dormer, plus ensuite. At the front, we're going to have a store room. I'd planned a sliding door for the store room as there is not enough ceiling height to install a normal door. More so since he's insited on 200mm rafters. (The structural engineer specced 150s). He wants to see a fire door on this store room, which means hinges. Which means cutting the top corner off the door. I want to avoid this if possible. Do we have to have a fire door on this store room? If so, is there another option other than having the corner cut off?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the layout - a simple sketch plan might help get some responses.

As an aside. why did you allow the bco to 'override' your SE by insisting on deeper rafters?

I had BCO insisting on increased this that and the other ... when I pushed it back to the SE he just agreed with them. Basically he couldn't be arsed to argue.

Sponsored Links
We went with the bigger rafters to keep the guy sweet. We might need to push him on something later on.

Here's a sketch of the top floor. Ceiling height is 2.65m under the ridge, which runs across the width of the picture. The door to the front room is at the top of the stairs. There is room for a 1981mm door of about 410mm to open under the slope of the roof. Or a wider door with the corner cut off, leaving 410mm at full height.

Attachments

• Loft.PNG
    Loft.PNG
    205.4 KB · Views: 279
Stud wall partition and turn the door 9 degrees so it opens into the ridge ?
If I understand you right, you're suggesting we put a small landing on the left at the top of the stairs and have the door parallel to the ridge when open? That door would still not fit under the slope. You would just swap the open and closed positions.

It's been a long day

Why does it have to be a full height door if it's just a store ?
I don't suppose it has to be, its just nice to have. We could just do what the guy suggests and cut the corner off the door. But I'd rather not if there's a good alternative.

Is there such a thing as a fire proof bi-fold door? That would work. Does the door need to be fire proof? We could fit any kind of door then. As a silly example, if we fit a toilet at the far end, does it become a bathroom and non-habitable, so not need a fire door?

It looks to me that that is a room, despite what you choose to call it, and it's still a risk so needs a fire door.

But yes, if you change the function of the room to a bathroom, then it will not need a fire door. Or if you just open it up to a landing.

I've had a bit of a think and had an idea. If we fit a 610mm fire door and we put a velux style window in front of it, the narrow door can just about open into the window recess. No cutting the corner off the door required.

You can get sliding door kits which are fire rated, portman do a few (As im sure others do). Will work out costing far more, however is doable if it works in your arrangement...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back