Loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to the site and I am looking for some much needed help. I plan to do a loft conversion but money is tight so plan to do all the work myself. I have to install 2steels in the party walls to support the floor. Now the problem I have is below the purlin there are 2 beams 6inchx2inch that are attached to the ceiling I think they are called ceiling binders ( please correct me if I am wrong) now they are just resting on brickwork on the chimney not fixed or recessed. Now how can I remove these can I attach them to the new floor joist or? ?? Please help. Tried looking on here but cannot find any info. On thethe picture int is theit lower horizontle one. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Just strap (attach with metal strapping) the existing ceiling joists to your new steel beam which will be directly beneath the existing purlins. You are getting an SE for the design?

You'll end up with something like this:

you would need to support the ceilings underneath.

Sponsored Links
the RSJs i assume would go across the lengh of the wall.
the beams or new floor joists would hang off them.

I guess you could hang the ceiling off the new joist.

But you need an SC to confirm what your doing.

They can advise you best...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back