loft extension - necessary to remove old insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello

my builders are doing a loft extension and have started putting in the new joists between the steels, looks the dogs donuts . is it necessary to remove all the old insulation as it looks fairly dirty and now its got some nice sawdust and bit of other debris on top or am i just being an anorak and it doesn't matter?

thanks jo

Sponsored Links
Hey Jo.

The primary factor that may reduce the useful lifespan of fiberglass insulation is settling or compaction. To maintain maximum insulating properties, fiberglass should remain in a fluffed state as when originally installed.

Having said that, it might better to get it done now, and not having to rip the floor up later on?

Hey Jo.

The primary factor that may reduce the useful lifespan of fiberglass insulation is settling or compaction. To maintain maximum insulating properties, fiberglass should remain in a fluffed state as when originally installed.

Having said that, it might better to get it done now, and not having to rip the floor up later on?

thanks for that,
well, its been there for donkeys and i'm sure its pretty knackered, obviously they will be putting all that kingspan stuff down on top of the old existing joist , i suppose i was wondering is it not better to remove it, as i think its use will be fairly limited in terms of insulation, and its now contaminated with sawdust ect, fire hazzard? or would removing it just be unnecessary work and its doing no harm there so just leave it

cheers jo

Sponsored Links
"If it's not broken, then don't fix it" I say...

No harm in a quick vac of all the saw dust? :)

It shouldn't do any harm to leave it in position.
But remember that to aid fire resistance of the new floor, you need to put 100mm of quilt between the new floor joists, supported off chicken wire stapled to the sides of the joists.

Cheers for that and yes i had a look this morning before going to work and the chicken wire has started going in
best
jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back