Loft insulation - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if a similar question has been asked previously – as a novice DIYer at best I’m getting somewhat confused by the range of options available and would appreciate some guidance on my best course of action.

I live in a converted bungalow so my daughters bedrooms upstairs lead directly to our walk-in loft, which I’m looking to insulate and board over as we plan to use it for storage.
There is some insulation between the joists – I’m not sure how much and what condition it’s in but bearing in mind the house was built in c. 1950 let’s assume the current stuff has seen better days. .
I’m not too fussed about having the recommended 270mm depth insulation as by the sounds of it, the cost savings start to tail off after 100mm.
So far, I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of options:-

1. Remove existing insulation and replace with some good quality 100mm loft roll, and then put chipboard over the top.
The down-side of this is that I’m sure at some stage we had squirrels in our loft and whilst there’s been no ‘activity’ up there for many years, who knows what mess we might find.

2. Leave existing insulation, and lay something like Celotex PIR insulation board 100MM (GAD4100) over the top, and then board over with chipboard.
I suspect this will give better insulation, and I won’t have to remove the old stuff, however this will be a more expensive option bearing in mind I have probably 30-40 sq m to cover.

Has anyone got any other suggestions or ideas? I’m keen to keep things as simple as possible but interested as to whether there’s any other obvious options I’ve missed.

Thanks Pete

Sponsored Links
Most people seem to lay 100mm of mineral wool between their existing ceiling joists, then lay some additional joists perpendicular to those and lay another layer of mineral wool between them. Then board on top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back