loft lighting installations via switched supply

cd4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i have a series if lights in my loft ( 8 or 9 small flourescent lamps ) and am hoping to connect the installation permanently through a switched supply box in the loft, which i am hoping to connect to the ring main socket system.

in the upper bedrooms, clearly labelling the wire so to avoid confusion later

so that i can have lighting in the loft whilst re wiring the electrical cables to the upper bedroom ceilings.

using standard lighting cable through all the lighting.

is this satisfactory?

Sponsored Links
Hi, why are you wiring your loft lights to the ring main? if you have access to the lighting feed to the bedrooms below, i would prefer to take the feed from the lighting circuit. 1.00mm twin and earth will be fine for the job.

Regards,

DS

• Thanks
Reactions: cd4
so that i can have lighting in the loft whilst re wiring the electrical cables to the upper bedroom ceilings.

Which is the best reason for NOT using the upstairs light circuit for the loft.

The other reason is you could be in total darkness and unable to find the loft hatch if tripping the loft lights also trips the lights under the loft.

• Thanks
Reactions: cd4
I would take the feed to the loft , wire the loft lights first and then connect my bedroom lights into the supply when ready.

Hands up the people with a light in the loft fed from the upstairs lighting circuit ? That will be a few million then …..

Apart from Bernie Green :LOL:

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
Hands up the people with a light in the loft fed from the upstairs lighting circuit ?
emot-colbert.gif

That will be a few million then …..
Wouldn't matter if it were billions - it still wouldn't be right.

Apart from Bernie Green
And me.

No surprises there, are you locked in yours ? :LOL:

Regards, DS

Well currently mine are connected to a bit of flex with a plug on - so I have to take the end of an extension up with me. When I've finished they will be off the same circuit as the bedroom sockets (whether that ends up as an RFC or radial).

They were wired to the upstairs lights, but got disconnected while I was doing some alterations to the circuit. IMO, if you are doing any work on the upstairs light circuit, then you are likely to be working in the loft - so it makes sense to not connect the loft lights (that you'll want on to see what you're doing) to the circuit you'll have switched off while you are doing it.

Of course, if you don't have the upstairs sockets with a spur up to the loft then it's going to be difficult connecting the loft lights to anything other than the upstairs lights :rolleyes:

I have loft lights on a plug.

Usually this can be plugged into the lighting circuit.

When working on the light circuit I run an extension lead up to plug the lights into.

It's simple but effective.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back