Loft Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have been scouting around for an answer to my problem and I am struggling to find a match so I thought I should just post a new topic hoping someone can help.

I am adding a new switch and light in my loft and so far I have fitted the light, run a 1.5 dual core wire from there to a pull switch. I am unsure now how to connect up the pull switch to the existing circuit.

Ideally I would like to avoid a junction box so would like to take power from either a ceiling rose or another light switch.

The closest circuit is the master bedroom. The ceiling rose in there appears to have only 1 wire running to it so I am not sure if I can tap into that. The switch for that light has three wires running to it so I expect tapping into that would cause overload?

I hope someone on here can help as I feel I am very close to having this sorted and would grudge paying a spark to come in for 5 minutes and charge me a fortune.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only one cable at the light means there wont be a permanent live in there so isn't any good.
No neutrals at the switch so that isn't any use either - it is a 2 way circuit? Have a look in the other switch if it is - they may have done the joining in there or alternatively in a JB in the roof or another rose.

Wow, that was a quick response - thanks for that. At the switch there are two red (or brown - I am colour blind) going into L2 then one going into L1. The blue wires are all connected in a plastic connecter. There are neutrals but they are wrapped and not connected to anything as it is a plastic box.

Another factor is that I am not convinced the pull switch is connected correctly. I just joined all the colours together at the relevant terminals which is what the instructions implied.

It sounds like your switch has a live feed coming in, and going out (the two wires in L2), and then a wire to the light fitting (the one in L1). The blue wires are the neutrals, all commoned together.

I assume what you are calling the neutrals are in fact the earths - they should be connected together, even if not connected to the faceplate/backbox if it's all plastic, otherwise you might lose the earth at other points of the circuit.

At the pull switch, assuming it's just got two terminals, then you should have the live from the supply cable into one terminal, and the live to the light fitting in another. The neutrals should all be connected together (in a terminal block if necessary), as should the earths.

Without wanting to be harsh, the fact you don't seem confident in what you're doing, and have confused neutrals and earths in your post - I would recommend for safetys sake that you get an electrician in to do this for you...

Sponsored Links
Sorry, bit of a mistype on the earth/neutral I was rushing a bit. I definitely know the difference.

The earths on the switch are all twisted together as they are on all my other switches round the house so hopefully this is ok as I didn't do it.

So, from what I understand, the line from the pull switch to the switch in the bedroom, I can connect the neutral into the neutral terminal block, twist in my earth with the others then connect my live to L2.

I'll double check the connection on the pull switch but I am pretty sure this is how it is wired up.

If I've misunderstood, my next move will be to call in the experts.

From your description that would appear to be correct, but this is just using a bit of intuition, without tracing/metering the circuits etc it's impossible to be sure.

The earths shouldn't all just be twisted together, if there's a metal front plate or back box they should be into a terminal on that, and if not then they should at the least be screwed in to a bit of connector block to ensure they are all held together, otherwise if one managed to come loose, you will have a loss of earth continuity, which could have dangerous consequences...

Bit of an update on this. I've now connected up the wire at the switch in the bedroom and run the line to the pull switch though the pull switch is a little different than I thought.

I have three connections on the switch. L1, L2 and COM. On the wall mounting I have an earth also.

I wasn't expecting the COM connection so should this be left and just join the neutrals with a terminal block with the two lives going into L1 and L2?

Thanks

No, use L1 and L2. Basically, you have a two way switch. Now some switches label themselves as L1, L2, L3, some as Com, L1, L2, it depends on the manufacturer...

Stupid manufacturers! So connect neutrals in a block and the lives to L1 and L2. Happy Days.

Thanks

Sorry, typo there :oops: - if you have Com, L1, L2 then use Com and L1, if you have L1, L2 and L3, then use L1 and L2...

Thought I should let you know that I have not electricuted myself and it is all working. Thanks to everyone's for all the help!

Chris

Sorry, typo there :oops: - if you have Com, L1, L2 then use Com and L1, if you have L1, L2 and L3, then use L1 and L2...

I figured that rebuke, particular thanks to you. You can rest easy! Have a good one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back