Loft Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm pretty new to all this electrics lark but i can do the basics, i'm looking for the best way to fit a light in the loft. I have a seperate ring main running round the loft and was wondering what was the best/safest way to add lights to the loft with a pull cord switch near the hatch.

I have 3 double sockets which are on their own ring-main and are new in the last 6-months and runs back to the Consumer Unit.

Whats my best option??

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Sponsored Links
I suppose the traditional way would be to run from the lighting circuit, assuming there is one. :D :idea: :D

You need to find a part of it that contains permanent live, neutral and earth.

From here you can run a cable to the pull switch.

From here you can run a cable to the light.

At the switch you would connect the neutrals together in a 5 amp connector block. Use the earth terminal only for earth wires.

Connect all earth wires together. Sleeve bare earth wires with green and yellow sleeving.

If you do not have access to the lighting circuit you can fit an unswitched 3/5 amp unswitched fused spur from the socket circuit; then run the new lighting from here.

You need to know if the the wiring where you will fit the fused spur unit is part of the ring, and not a spur from it.

Sponsored Links
Extending the lighting circuit is the best way in loft spaces,
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting.
But if for some reason that is not a suitable method, you would need to fit a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) to the socket outlet, downfuse to 5Amps, then you can install 1.0mm or 1.5mm Twin and earth from the FCU. Then from there a loop to light fitting and drop to swicth/pull cord.

Extending the lighting circuit is the best way in loft spaces,
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting.
But if for some reason that is not a suitable method, you would need to fit a Fused Connection Unit (FCU) to the socket outlet, downfuse to 5Amps, then you can install 1.0mm or 1.5mm Twin and earth from the FCU. Then from there a loop to light fitting and drop to swicth/pull cord.

Would this be along the lines of this diagram //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting, with the loop from the FCU providing the "supply"

I know the ring is new and the socket in question is not a spur, so is this my best plan as the lighting circuit is under quite a bit of insulation??

Would this be along the lines of this diagram //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting, with the loop from the FCU providing the "supply"
Yes it would
I know the ring is new and the socket in question is not a spur, so is this my best plan as the lighting circuit is under quite a bit of insulation??
Using lighting circuit would be best option though as you would not need to route cable from socket outlet, this may involve chasing walls, unless the the socket circuit also runs through the loft.

The sockets are in the loft already so looks like its the best option for me.

Thanks everyone for all your help, its been very useful!!

The sockets are in the loft already so looks like its the best option for me.
Ahh! you should have said that!
Well depending on the wattage being used on the new lighting circuit, you can have the fuse rated at 3Amps in the FCU for anything lower than 690 watts.
Run the same sized cable as the socket circuit to the FCU from the socket you are taking spur from. ie if the cable is 2.5mm or 4mm CSA on the circuit use that.
Then once you have down fused the FCU 3/5A, you can install 1.00mm2 cable. to your fittings and switch drop.

How come you've got a dedicated socket circuit in the loft, installed in the last 6 months, and whoever did that didn't think that lighting would be a good idea?

How come you've got a dedicated socket circuit in the loft, installed in the last 6 months, and whoever did that didn't think that lighting would be a good idea?

I've just moved into the house so not sure why they did it like this but this is how i found it.

There is a strip light in the loft but it plugs directly into one of the sockets, i'm just trying to make it a bit easier to use with a pull cord switch. There is also an aerial booster in the loft.

A switched FCU with a discreet neon, e.g.

MKK1060.JPG

mounted in the ceiling near the hatch, or in the hatch opening, or a door switch operated by the hatch, would be a good idea, as it will put an end to all the "did I turn the light off or not?" uncertainties. ;)

If you do not have access to the lighting circuit you can fit an unswitched 3/5 amp unswitched fused spur from the socket circuit; then run the new lighting from here.

You need to know if the the wiring where you will fit the fused spur unit is part of the ring, and not a spur from it.

Your assuming he's a cannabis farmer, anyone that pays the lecky bill would like to be able to switch the lights off.

I suggested an unswitched fused spur off the ring circuit so he could then fit the pull switch that was mentioned in the original post. :D

Much better to take the feed from the socket circuit via a 3A FCU than the lighting circuit in my opinion, how many sparks have been up a loft working on a lighting circuit whilst trying to use a torch or lead light because the loft light went off with the upstairs lighting circuit??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back