Loft Room Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a loft room that had a new bathroom installed not log before we moved in. The loft room is in a central position within the house and surrounded on three sides by a loft space used for storage. The loft space is insulated and boarded but the loft room is not, neither on the walls (between room and loft space) or the ceiling (between room and roof) so I am looking to retrofit some insulation.

Is this just a case of using Kingspan board or similar, cut to fit between the joists? Also, do I need to treat the ceiling insulation different to the wall insulation (and how much do I need to consider moisture problems). I don't have moisture issues within the loft space, it is well ventilated and checked regularly for problems. As I am insulating against the inner space rather than the outer timbers (of the house) then I am not sure how much of an issue this is.

I have attached two pictures..

PIC A shows the loft-side of the room wall. The boarding is some kind of fibre board (think the conversion was possibly originally done in the 70's or 80's).

PIC B shows the gap between the roof timbers and the ceiling timbers and my plan was to lay the insulation board between the ceiling timbers (Pic B Already shows a small offcut of Kingspan 50mm laid between the timbers). This may mean cutting the board down in certain locations to get them fitted where access is restricted by the angle of the roof joists.

I would be grateful for any advice or alternative options. Thanks in advance,

Mike

Attachments

• PICA.jpg
    PICA.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 157
  • PICB.jpg
    PICB.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back