loft ventilation after flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently floored my 9x5 metre loft and white mould has formed on the roof timbers which i know was the air from eaves not circulating properly above newly layed chipboard,i have taken up edge cuts of flooring to allow more air to rise more from the eaves and left skylight window open to allow sufficient air to circulate until such times i have vents fitted as i dont feel the gaps along the eaves is sufficient to allow enough air for the whole loft after flooring. i have sprayed and wiped the mould with a mould killer as much as possible but will i need to get it sprayed professionally to eradicate it fully as has been suggested to me?? can anyone inform me of the correct vents to get fitted as i have a gable end wall aswell as a smaller room in loft which has an exterior wall also which could have at least a vent fitted in both exterior walls to loft or should roof vents be fitted through slates or maybe both if possible?? any opinions will be appreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
unless you are abnormally short, you will not be able to stand on your new floor under the pitch of the roof, so you can easily have a gap of a foot or more before the flooring starts.

Look at the loft insulation to verify that although it lies on the plasterboard ceiling, it is cut back and can't block the eaves.

unless you are abnormally short, you will not be able to stand on your new floor under the pitch of the roof, so you can easily have a gap of a foot or more before the flooring starts.

Look at the loft insulation to verify that although it lies on the plasterboard ceiling, it is cut back and can't block the eaves.
the chipboard was only layed in december 2012 and was left at least 6 inch+ away from the eaves as was the insulation and i have since lifted the edge cuts of chipboard to allow more air to rise from the eaves to above new floor level but still feel it may not be adaquate as there is only small gaps along the full length of the eaves in this 1933 built house so feel vents may be needed although there was no mould prior to flooring and started to form within weeks of floor being layed but there was a fair gap left on both sides for eaves.....i leave the skylight open slightly which seems to be generating enough air in the meantime as was concerned that the mould would get worse if nothing was done.....should i just get vents in either exterior wall in loft or roof vents just to be sure its adaquately ventilated? theres only small gaps at the eaves every few feet or so as opposed to being a continuous gap running the length of the loft.

Sponsored Links
Back