Long narrow room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our dinning / cat room is approx 7m long by 2.2m wide its an extension to the side of the house. We plan on knocking through to the kitchen eventually but SWMBO is desperate to decorate it as a temporary measure.

So I am looking for some ideas / inspiration to make it look less narrow and long. I was thinking light coloured (silver/grey) big patterned paper on the long wall as this is the first wall you see when you walk in and then paint on the other 3 walls. Both short walls have patio doors so would be dressed with blinds and curtains.

At the moment sectioning off the room is not really an option unless doing it with furniture I guess.

Thanks for any advise.

Sponsored Links
As you say, section it off with furniture.

Get a room divider.

That's a big book case without a back, which you load up with junk like pots and plants and glass and books.

bring the short wall decoration round the corners and along the long walls for a couple of feet. Don't use curtains at the sides of the patio doors as this will narrow the short walls even more.

I would not use a big pattern paper on the long walls, it will emphasise the length.

You can section the room with room dividers and decorate the long walls differently in each section. Large mirror on the long wall will also help add width.

bring the short wall decoration round the corners and along the long walls for a couple of feet. Don't use curtains at the sides of the patio doors as this will narrow the short walls even more.

I would not use a big pattern paper on the long walls, it will emphasise the length.

You can section the room with room dividers and decorate the long walls differently in each section. Large mirror on the long wall will also help add width.

Paper wise we were going with big pattern, saw some in Dulux shop £65 a roll though or cheaper stuff i.e. Damask for £25 at the big sheds.

So on the ends would you just use blind in the French door rebates then?

Sponsored Links
I would be inclined to fix venetian blinds outside the window reveals and have them full width wall to wall, but it's a personal thing and difficult to see without saying.

Not vertical blinds, as they will narrow that wall.

Hello,

Our dinning / cat room

Is it worth it, just for a room you keep cats in?

Seriously...I wouldn't be spending £65 per roll on paper if the room is to be pulled around again soon. Just paint the short walls with a dark colour and the long wall with a pale one and save your money until you've done the building work.

Hello,

Our dinning / cat room

Is it worth it, just for a room you keep cats in?

Seriously...I wouldn't be spending £65 per roll on paper if the room is to be pulled around again soon. Just paint the short walls with a dark colour and the long wall with a pale one and save your money until you've done the building work.

The wall we are papering is not going to be touched when the other wall is pulled down. I have how ever found some Lars Contzen paper that might just be a little more crazy than we were going to do its the Le Pola one and cheaper than the other.

As for it being a room just for the cats, we have a bunch of maine coons that love to chase each other so need the space. It does also double up as a dinning room lol friends of ours find it weird that we have a water fountain for them as well.

You are clearly delusional about what building work entails.

Please be assured that

(i) the papered wall will be wrecked, whatever you agree with the builder
(ii) there will be plaster residue everywhere for about 3 months afterwards
(iii) you will wish you had just left it as it was
(iv) the cats will leave and make a home somewhere less noisy, dusty and stressful

Please be assured that

(iv) the cats will leave and make a home somewhere less noisy, dusty and stressful

And SWMBO will blame it all on you.

Please be assured that

And SWMBO will blame it all on you.

Absolutely!

All the more reason to put your foot down at this stage and tell her to put up with it as it is and abandon all your notions of fancy wallpaper until it is all re-built.

The wallpaper you choose now will only go out of fashion, anyway. Better to wait. Have a grafitti wall instead.

Ask Freddymercurys twin - he is a cat person here on diynot ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back