1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Looking for some advice re hiring a tradesman

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by BlackJAC74, 25 Aug 2011.

1. BlackJAC74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i'm currently using MyBuilder.com to get a tradesman for a bathroom fitting and we've decided to accept one of the 3 quotes we received. The tradesman we hired has asked for £1000 upfront for material costs, which he'll provide a written receipt upon me handing the cash over. However, I've asked for a list of requirements before doing so. Here's my email:

and here is the response from the tradesman:

He's basically refused most of my requests and as such I'm looking for any advice whether I'm being reasonable or not. He cites the reason he has references posted from previous customers on mybuilder, but my main issue with that, it's not impossible to get a friend to post a job, then leave a review. i don't want to read Mary is happy with his work, I want to hear from Mary herself.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, cheers!

2. cajar

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like a dodgy character, or at the very least quite beligerent. I would avoid tbh.

Don't think its unreasonable to ask for a written contract, proof of liability cover, or satisfied customers. As for his last comments about looking elsewhere, I'd tell him to stick it.

You're doing the right thing refusing to pay in advance for work or for materials you haven't yet received.

3. BlackJAC74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah, i think i am going to tell him to stick it as I think I'm well within my rights to ask for some guarantees, especially when it comes to references. anyone can write a good review on a website.

4. jarvis2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    BlackJAC74

Avoid this one like the plague.

Get recommendations from family, friends/neighbours. Then check them-out.

5. BlackJAC74

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Got back to him and told him I'm going to use someone else that will be a little bit more forthcoming with guarantees and information.

6. Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    And he doen`t need to be Gas Safe to do a bathroom :rolleyes:

7. Inky Pete

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Forget MyBuilder.com and all the other internet sites, anyone who bids for work online on a lowest price basis is not getting work via word of mouth or personal recommendation.

As has been said, ask around family/neighbours etc for who they've used. Look for sign-written vans of guys working near you, then knock on the customer's door and politely ask for their opinion of the guy.

If you must go the advert route, look in local publications for people who live and do most of their work in your local area - cowboys don't tend to s**t on their own doorstep. Parish magazines and the like are good for this kind of thing.

Don't go for someone who'll only give a mobile number and e-mail address, look for people who are happy to put a landline number or even home address on their advertising - they're going to know where you live, why shouldn't you know where to find them if the job goes pear-shaped?

8. kevindgas

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with whats said above, but also any reputable tradesman would not be asking for money up front (some may ask you to purchase the materials via their account)

9. pampers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if i get a bad vibe from the customer i ask for money for materials the same day they are delivered to site ,happens quite rarely now as ive learned if i get bad vibes just walk away.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  10. WoodYouLike

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Agree with pampers on this subject. We understand there are dodgy traders around, but the number of dodgy customers are never talked about (or shown on TV programs featuring "Dodgy Don")