Loose door handles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The screws that fix the handles to the doors keep working loose, and just spin in the holes when I try to tighten them. On taking the handle off to try and rectify this, I found the holes too small to wedge anything in for the screws to screw into. I also cannot do new holes in a slightly different position because then the handle will be at the wrong angle. Any suggestions for a quick fix, or do I need to buy new handles with a different configuration for the screws? Any suggestions welcome :confused:

Sponsored Links
Use rawlplugs in the holes, perversely enough you may find the need to enlarge the hole to fit the plug but it should solve your problem.

Hi. Thanks for the suggestion although not sure there are rawlplugs short enough - the doors are only 33mm thick. If I trim the plugs then they probably won't be as effective? Worth a try though I guess :)

You've probably long since solved this problem, but I came across the same problem and solved it using a bolt through or back to back fixing, eg: http://www.doorhandlesdirect.co.uk/...through_fixing_set_for_door_handles_m35_brass

Repairing loose door handles can be quite a problem where the rose or back plate fixing screws are located in a hollow part of the door.
Back to back fixings effectively clamp the handle onto the door face and transmits any pulling force to the opposite handle. You can get them in different finishes too so that the fixing screws suits the style of your door.

Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back