LOOSE DOUBLE GLAZED WINDOW FRAME

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I am hoping you will be able to help me.

My back bedroom double glazed window frame is loose - I can hear the wind whistling through it!

It seems secure at the top and sides, but where it meets the window ledge at the bottom, if I push it gently, it moves.

As I can't afford either another window, or to get someone in to fix it, it's time to become a DIY'er! :eek:

Any repair will have to be done from the inside as there is a conservatory outside, and disability means I couldn't clamber about or climb a ladder anyway.

I was thinking of removing all the mastik (sp?), getting some of the foamy stuff builders use to secure it (would that work?), and then smoothing that down and putting fresh mastik on it again.

Also should probably mention that it is a timber framed house, but dont know if that is relevant or not.

Does that sound reasonable or should I do something else?

Really would appreciate any advice, thanks

Sponsored Links
if its a slight wobble then you are probably along the right lines. Without seeing it, it is difficult to say but maybe you should get some expanding foam. That will hold it. If you do use it, it can be messy. It will expand a lot so dont use much and dont touch it for a day or so, then trim it neat and silicone neat. Dont try and wipe it off while its expanding, will make a mess.

Hi, the bottom of a UPVC window is never fixed, the sides should be and very occasionally the top, but never the bottom.

However it should still be sealed and shouldn't really move...unless you are pushing really really hard!

I would advise re-sealing all round the window with a good quality sealant.

Hopefully that will solve your whistling problem

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for your replies.

Interesting about the bottom of the windows never being fixed - thats something I have learned today!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back