Loss of water pressure on manual gravity feed shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a thermostatic ensuite gravity feed shower. I fitted it as a replacement about 2 years ago.
It has never been very powerful ( about as strong as a watering can but in the last couple of weeks the shower starts fine as usual power then within a couple of minutes the flow reduces by about 50%. It still keeps the same temperature but flow is rubbish.
Turn it off for a minute then turn back on and it's fine again for a minute then slows again.
I have made sure the head is not full of lime scale.
Im in the process of thinking of fitting whole house pump to increase pressure all over the house but wondered if the shower pressure problem might be something else?

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that there is an eventual temperature drop in the hot water supply, so to maintain the same temperature at the shower, the mixer thermostat reduces cold water flow... possibly shutting it off completely - so you only get a dribble.

Check any filters fitted in the inlets to the shower, if these are clean then check pipework. Maybe worth disconnecting the shower from the supplies and then turn the supplies on individually and see if the flow subsides, indicating a restriction in the supplies.

Sponsored Links
Hi
After you 've checked the filters on the shower.
I'd have the neck of the hot water tank off to be sure it is free of limescale before i fitted a pump to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back