Loud bangs coming from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My potterton suprima has started to make loud banging noises (sounds like 2 or 3 small explosions when the system comes on, then nothing for an hour or so then another couple of bangs etc) - it seems to be when the pilot light goes out. The heating is still working ok, but the noises are concerning me - advice would be welcome on whether it is safe to keep on using or whether it should be turned off until an engineer has had a look at it.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It does not have a pilot light!

The banging, if gas related, will be as a result of retarded ignition. Possibly just as a result of no servicing.

I would say that if it does not frighten you then continue to use it while you are at home but dont leave it on if out.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

on a related subject my boiler has been messing around for a year or so now (it is just over 4 years old), so I would appreciate opinions on whether it is going to be cheaper in the long run to replace it now (with something other than a Potterton which seems to get a bad press generally) or keep paying for repairs. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I don't know - we moved into the house 10 months ago (so not in the last 10 mths). There is no sign of servicing info in the boiler docs - just says the date of installation (the guarantee card is partially completed but wasn't sent off at the time) so I would guess not.

the boiler will last 15 years if serviced properly so why do u want to throw it away. If it is banging get it seen to asap as it wont get better only worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back