Loud "boom" when boiler ignites.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I, unfortunatly have one of those wonderful Ideal ISAR HE24 boilers, which has gone wrong at least 6? times now

We've had the PCB replaced Three times, the pump twice and the ignition system I think at least once.

Since the new PCB has been fitted, I notice occasionally when the boiler fires to preheat the water in the exchanger (think that's right), it makes a loud bang/boom
Seems to be getting louder as time goes on, which is worrying me a fair bit

Should I be worried? heh

Sponsored Links
I, unfortunatly have one of those wonderful Ideal ISAR HE24 boilers, which has gone wrong at least 6? times now

We've had the PCB replaced Three times, the pump twice and the ignition system I think at least once.

Since the new PCB has been fitted, I notice occasionally when the boiler fires to preheat the water in the exchanger (think that's right), it makes a loud bang/boom
Seems to be getting louder as time goes on, which is worrying me a fair bit

Should I be worried? heh

Well yours has been quite reliable for that model then!

The pump will have failed because of dirt int he system.

I hope you have this on a fixed price BG or Ideal scheme!

If its covered then call them out. If not and the noise does not bother you then wait until it stops working again and sign up to the cheaper BG scheme based on the boiler "working".

Tony

Heh yea, I read all the bad stuff about this paticular model/brand after it'd been installed, no wonder it was free on the warmfront scheme eh?

We do have it insured now, under the Ideal's own boiler cover, as it seemed to be the cheapest and with the best options (Like unlimited callouts etc)

Could be ignition electrodes warped so the gap is too great, or could simply need a service and the condensate trap and sump properly cleaned.

Outside chance the working pressure at the meter is too low as well.

Sponsored Links
Gas valves are suscepitble to sticking caused by the glycol in the gas mains, certain areas are more prone than others......nothing bad to do with Ideal, even honeywell are powerless.....
Gas valve just can be changed, but its just a matter of time.... then again, ignition electrodes, spark generator, spark gaps, burner condition etc are all to be checked.

Thanks everyone for the replies
I'll probably call them up to check it over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back