LOUD humming from water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm making this post not for me but my neighbours! They appear to have an issue which causes their plumbing or to be more specifically (I think) their water tank in the loft to making a extremely loud humming noise.

Now the noise only appears to start when they use the water and therefore I believe it is coming from their main pipe which fills their water tank in the loft.

Does anyone know what exactly could be wrong and how they can fix it. I'd really like to get a good night sleep for once (yes it really is that loud!).

Any help would be massively appreciated.

EL

Sponsored Links
Where would this ball value be? Is it on the main tank itself? I'd like to go to them with some advice if I can so they can fix it. The more detail you can give the better. Again I'm very grateful :)

Sponsored Links
Okay, any idea how much it would cost to fit this?

Also just to give more detail, the sound it makes sounds a bit like someone blowing over the top of a beer bottle but 100 times louder. Just to check we're on the same terms.

Thank you :)

Dead simple replacement, so long as access is good enough.
As the others have said, it will be the ball valve - these can make noises anywhere between a hooter and a machine gun.
John :)

The last (and most accurate description for the particular situation) was "it's like the QE2 coming into harbour"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back