Low pitch Cambrian tiles leaking

M

mdh1

Has anyone had problems with Cambrian (or similar) reconstituted slate tiles leaking at low pitch (15 degrees). Tiles are installed with correct overlap.
If so, what did you do?

Sponsored Links
Hi - only just saw your post on the Marley Cambrian's leaking.

Yes I have had same problem - 17.5 pitch and areas where water seeps through tile.
I had Redland rep come out to inspect - he confirmed tiles correctly laid with overlap etc
Problem is tree and other debris getting into the interlocking channels and sticking and causing
rain to overflow the channels. Tiles are not really suitable if there are trees around.

Solution was to have areas of the roof pressure cleaned which is tricky as jet has to get
to channels underneath tiles - probably easier to use compressed air. However
still have some drips onto permeable underlay as debris builds up every year.

Have you had any success in solving this ?

Cambrian are Redland, Melbourne are Marley, I have seen issues where the underlaying channels are damaged which you cant see without removal.. not easy!
Keeping debris clear off the roof is good practice anyway. jet washing under channels not for me! you already have an ingress issue without blasting it in.
Where is the leaking showing inside? ... Top Middle Or Bottom

I have 2 monopitch roofs at 15 degrees and I have numerous leaks in both. The breather membrane is tight so allows any leaks to come through. Leaks only when it rains and in summer and winter and in all wind directions. Sometimes it leaks, other times it doesn't. Sometimes just a few drips, other times over an inch in buckets. Leaks are mainly middle and bottom.
Redland rep has been out a few times and said tiles laid correctly. He removed some tiles to check. Some of the side locks were silted up and I have trees around the house. No idea how they can sell a product if that is the cause of the leaks after only a couple of years.
Redland have not admitted liability but have offered free replacement tiles (which isn't a lot of use as they don't know why they are leaking).
The roofers have said to accept this and then they will sell them for me but this still means a lot of money out of pocket and I will need a new roof.
10 years this has been going on for now ;-(
I have seen on-line there have been other people with problems with these tiles at low pitches.
The tiles aren't fit for purpose as far as I am concerned.

Sponsored Links
We have a problem with our Cambrian slate roof leaking. It has a 25deg pitch and has been fitted as per Redlands technical specifications. Been inspected today by Redland rep. who blamed our trees. Nowhere in their technical data does it say should not be used near trees. Their guarantee says 15 years weathertight. Not fit for purpose as previous comment. Trading Standards anyone?

Just found this forum after searching problems with low pitch Cambrian . We have rep coming out this week to look at our roof - leaking with Cambrian tiles - 17 degree pitch - has anyone got anywhere with the reps? What are they saying other than trying to blame trees?!

cambchan.png cambtop.png 20 years under trees at 15 degree pitch

Redland eventually offered me new tiles (that would have leaked again, so my roofers sold these and gave me the money).
Redland rep was Andy Stewart on 07702 952021.
The BBA certification is supposed to be being changed to say not to use near trees but i wouldn't trust the BBA (as they were asking Redland for the wording!). This has not been changed yet, email [email protected] to see what is happening with this.
If your roof is less than 6 years old, use the statues of limitations law against Redland, saying the tiles are not fit for purpose. My main problem was after 6 years (due to lots of other problems) so not much I could do.
Mine still leaks but not as bad since I had 3 big trees cut down (that I had to pay for).
Redland Cambrians are not fit for purpose near trees
The BBA certs are not worth the paper they are written on either.

So good to hear from someone else who is in same position .Thnak you for adding to the forum again.We have had tiles removed to be tested . We are waiting for these to come back. I haven’t got any trees overhanging or even close? Is there anyway of contacting you mdh1 to ask your advice rather than posting all details on here ?

Cat73 - got your conversation but can't find a way of replying to it. Started a new conversation with you with contact details.
Not sure I can add much more. Tiles have been laid in accordance with specs. Sidelocks get blocked with tree debris and then leak only when it rains (so not condensation). Leaks all over the place but not all the time. Doesn't seem to be linked to temperature or wind direction either. The best you will get from Redland is the offer of free tiles.

Just heard from BBA, see below;

Apologies for the delay in completing this work. One of my colleagues had started the reissue but not completed it. It is now with me and a updated draft is in preparation and will be sent to Redland for their initial comments. The reissue Certificate should be issued by Easter. I will forward a copy to you as soon as it has been issued.

Hi

Did you male any progress on the problem with the Cambrian slates - I have exactly the same problem with the
hidden channels where the tiles lock, blocking up with debris ?

No.
Still have them and they still leak but miles better since I cut some trees down that were quite close (at my expense).
If they are no good near trees, the BBA certificate should say that.
If they are no good near trees, that is Cambrian's fault.

Thanks for your reply.

The Cambrians here were installed in 2001 and started to give problems of water dripping
onto the permeable membrane about 2012.

The rep came from Redland and said the tiles were properly fixed but the problem
is tree debris that gets in between the tiles and stops the little gutters working
causing underside drips. The house is in a highly wooded area with lots of
pine trees which produce sticky residue.

The roofer we used cleaned the worst areas with jet spray and this appears to
keep the drips down although the membrane in certain areas can get wet.

It probably would be better to have them cleaned every 5 years or so with a
high pressure air hose - the jet spray gets the membrane very wet.

Alternatively perhaps spraying a roof cleaning chemical might be an option but
its difficult to get this inbetween the tiles.

As you say Redland should have tested this and warned against use near trees.

Hopefully the membrane will outlive our stay here.

My problem also is that the membrane was installed tight so leaks when it comes through the tiles ;-(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back