Low pitch roof flat on eaves?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question

We own a 1970's bungalow. The roof is very low pitch with concrete tiles, Ludlow or something like that. The roofs right through the street are slowly failing, mainly the mineral/bitumen felt. It's mainly failing on the eaves where the low pitch becomes almost flat.

My question

Why,at the bottom of the low pitch does the roof almost become flat over the eaves. This is where the felt is sagging and then ripping which slowly travels upwards.

I'm going to refelt, batton and add felt support (plastic strips) but why does it flatten out? Some crazy 70's experimental idea?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
image.jpg

There seems to be a ridiculous amount of 'kick' on the starter course of tiles. Whilst it is normal practice for the fascia to provide a kicker for the starter course, it is sometimes done poorly - either too much or too little.
In this instance, given the fact that the roof pitch is so shallow, little attention has been paid to the consequences of overdoing the kicker. 60mm - 70mm is usually plenty. Yours seems to have an additional 25mm - 30mm more than that. The starter tile needs to sit at the same pitch as the rest of the tiles and the fascia need only be tall enough to achieve this.

It is a bit of a chore but can be rectified. It would be no great shakes to do as part of an eaves renovation jobby as long as there are no neighbours following your roof line, i.e. semi-detached etc. Many properties built more than say 40 years ago are now experiencing eaves felt degradation issues so nothing new.

Many thanks for the reply. I've looked at the houses right through the street and the kick seems to vary greatly. Some have none some like me are basically horizontal.

I will be redoing the roof in the next ten years so will get the whole fascias done then. No issues with neighbouring roof as they are all detached properties. Many thanks for the info it's much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
10 years! get that cracked tile sealed with mastic before then.:notworthy:

strictly speaking all tiles should be in the same plane.. a construction/carpentry error.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back