Low pressure but high flow....why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just curious about this,

I have a semi pumped open vent heating system. The hot water is gravity fed. I have the obligatory tanks in the loft. A very large metal one for hot water, and a small one for central heating. So it is a low pressure system.

Interestingly, the flow from the bath hot taps (all taps in fact) is pretty high. Using one of those special measuring cups, it tops out at around 18 litres per min. The taps seem to have a good water pressure too. With the tank in the loft and the cylinder directly below it I assume it must be around around 0.2 bar. But, it seems just as powerful as the mains fed cold. This comes out of the bath tap with a flow of around 20-22 litres per min.

Now, this is the interesting bit, the attached property (semi) who are family have a similar open vent system. It is fully pumped however. The two header tanks are again in the loft (both smaller ones) and the cylinder is directly below. Yet, despite the similarity, the flow out of the hot taps is appalling. The bath taps are not mixer ones, both individual. Could they be high pressure taps on a low pressure system? They look like old taps and I am pretty sure they are low pressure ones.Could the hot water cylinder have a lot of lime-scale in it or at the top where the pipe exits?

Using the same device I get only 6litres per min on the hot and around 14-15litres per minute on the cold tap.

To be honest, any system I have come across compared to mine has usually been a disappointment. So, I was wondering, why is my hot tap flow so high. Just good pipe layout?

Any things to check to improve the flow of hot water in the other property.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back