Low Voltage Lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

Can anybody tell the general rule for the amount of low voltage lights that can be installed in a room.

Sponsored Links
No general rule, as many as your transformer can handle, if you want more just get another transformer and rate the watts of each light to the output.
Pete

Thanks for that help Pete. I wasn't sure how many I could put in the room.

Could you recommend how many you would put in a room 14 feet by 11 feet.

All depends on the wattage I would guess 6 max of 9.
3 line rows looks best.
Where are u from in Navan I am from N Dublin originally DonnycarneY.
Pete

Sponsored Links
it really depends on

1) how bright you want it

2) wht type of lamp you will use.

a suggestion, wire them in groups or rows, saves having to dimm them, which halogens do not really like, since they rely on the high temperature to work

Fluffster said:
All depends on the wattage I would guess 6 max of 9.
3 line rows looks best.
Where are u from in Navan I am from N Dublin originally DonnycarneY.
Pete
I was thinking about 9 in the room. I wasn't sure about how bright they would have looked.

I am originally from Finglas but I moved to Navan 5 years ago. House prices in Dublin too high.:rolleyes:. I live in Johnstown it is bedside the IDA industrial estate.Do you know Navan well. How do you find living in London.

Only to drive through been here nearly 20 yrs now have set roots down but go home every few months.
Yeah prices gone crazy like it London in the late 80s but of course we all know what happened there.
Pete

As a general rule of thumb for bathrooms I use 200 lux and in a 4m x 4m room which is very approx what you have 9 MR16 low voltage lamps would be fine. If used in a reception area/Kitchen 300 lux is more common and would mean upping the number of fittings to 12.

The fittings should be about 1 mtr apart watching for joists etc and at least 1/2 a metre from the walls

Whilst you can get bigger transfomers I always use standard 60VA transformers of a good quality premium range (Usually the Aurora Lighting AU-E60, these are a good price to warranty cost and can't ever remember a failed one). If you do get failures it means you know where the transformer is and is a simple replacement job.

There are a few things to remember with low voltage lighting.

1) Just because it's low voltage does not mean that you can use thinner wires. Ensure that the wires that you are using are of a sufficient gauge to carry the load at the voltage you are using i.e. 12V or 24V.

You will actually need heftier cables for high wattage lights at low voltage.

2) Voltage drop can be a big issue over longer runs at low voltage

This tool is handy for calculating what you need :

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Lighting/VoltageDrop.html

3) Ensure that you have sufficient clearance behind the fitting and that there is no attic insulation around it. These fittings can run very hot.

4) Site the transformers somewhere where they can cool down and run safely. I put mine in the attic sitting on large ceramic tiles to ensure they are able to dissipate heat easily.

5) Remember that some LV systems can be dimmed, others can't. You'll need to talk to your lighting supplier about this.

If you want to save energy, consider 230V LEDs bulbs, they are a bit pricy for good ones, but they do provide reasonable light, but still no where near as bright as halogens.

Sponsored Links
Back