Low water pressure - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an old mid terrace house (1900's). The house has been empty for over a year and just going to relet it.

Over 18 months ago i notice the water pressure was lower than had been the yr before (rented it out for a yr), but didnt think too much more, just turned the water and utilities off.

Now the new tenants have just replaced the bathroom suite at no cost to myself (they are related to me) ready to move in this month. They noticed the water pressure getting lower and called out a plumber. The plumber said he had seen this before and all lead pipe would need replacing as he could also hear a drip in the bathroom yet couldn’t see where it was coming from. He said it could cost £10k yet would do it as a favour for £6k.

My house is a mid-terrace of 6 house with 2 shops at the either end. 4 of these houses have said that there water pressure has also been getting very low over time, however not spoken to shop owners yet (butchers and a cafe).

My overflow is also dripping at the rear – could this cause the problem??

United utilities have finally agree to come out at the end of the month however said that if the fault was on one property they would not repair.

I am confused; 4 houses in the centre of the row with water pressure issues, how can this be the fault of one houses pipes?? Also if the trickling noise wasn’t the downpipe but a leak elsewhere why has no water visibly shown in my house rising through the floor or anywhere else.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Caroline

Sponsored Links
I'd be tempted to get competitive quotes for replacing the water pipe between the stopcocks in the road and the house. The water board is likely to be comparatively expensive. Go for a larger bore pipe to give a good flow in the house. Get rid of the lead plumbing, it is toxic and sounds like it's blocked with scale and leaking. On the bright side, scale can reduce lead poisoning.

Plastic pipe is quite simple for DIY install. Also, it avoids earth bonding requirements.

I think you might be legally obliged to fix dripping overflows.

thanks for that i will do, but can i just ask...could it be my pipes that are at fault if over half of the houses in the row are having the same problem?

thanks for that i will do, but can i just ask...could it be my pipes that are at fault if over half of the houses in the row are having the same problem?
All the houses/plumbing are over 100 years old. It would be strange if they didn't share the same problems. If you can get a pressure gauge on the supply, it will show the static pressure without flow. This pressure will be the same as the mains pressure. You're looking for a pressure of several bar. A low static pressure must be the suppliers problem.

Sponsored Links
thanks, i think it must be united utilies issue as too much of conicidence that many houses in a small row experience the same problem.

fingers crossed thats the issue, i also remembered that when the central heating was fitted 8yrs ago so water pipes were replaced by british gas as they were lead, just not all from memory.

has anyone else ever had the same issue?

Common problem with houses of that era. Mine was built 1896, original water supply was lead running along the rear, serving several houses. All bar first on original supply have now had independant supplies installed from the road.

If you can get a new plastic service pipe installed to the property boundary then UU will connect it to their main, the connection may actually be F.O.C. as its their responsibility beyond the boundary.

Worth bearing in mind water demands back then were a lot lower than today. Original supply would have fed an outside W.C. and a sink in the kitchen. Baths were probably once a week in front of fire, showers, washing machines etc weren't invented!

Therefore the old lead services weren't very big so when demand increases they simply cannot provide. Also possible it may be leaking further upstream reducing pressure even further. Have come across cases round here (the water is hard) where a shared supply is fitted, one house turns on shower and neighbours drops to a trickle......

As Hughj says you probably have a shared lead supply, possibly 1/2" and maybe furred up so pipe bore could be as small as 1/8". In years gone by the board would come out and "blow" the supply though never seen that done since i was a boy.

The only real fix is a new supply. Depends where the main is and how easy to get to but if the main is on the front street it is just a matter of getting a new 25mm MDPE (blue) pipe out and they should give you a new connection for free. (They are obliged to do it if you have a lead pipe from the connection)

Btw your plumber is taking the pis with 10K reduced to 6. I'll do it for 5 1/2 cash and supply my own pick and shovel if you put me up and feed me :LOL:

Shop around ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back