Lunacy if vehicle computor systems.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
||>------
Fiat Chrysler has issued a safety
recall affecting 1.4m vehicles in the US, after security researchers
showed that one of its cars could be hacked.

On Tuesday, tech magazine Wired reported that hackers had taken control of a Jeep Cherokee via its internet-connected entertainment system.

Chrysler said it was issuing a voluntary recall to update the software in affected vehicles.

The company added that hacking its vehicles was a "criminal action".

Security researchers Charlie Miller and Chris Valasek demonstrated that it was
possible for hackers to control a Jeep Cherokee remotely, using the
car's entertainment system which connected to the mobile data network.

Fiat Chrysler recalls 1.4 million cars after Jeep hack - BBC News ----<|||

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33650491

How could anyone in their right mind create a system that has a link between the engine management system and a system ( in this case entertainment ) that has connections via the internet.

There is no requirement for them to be connected other than they use the same power supply and maybe the engine managment can turn off the entertainment system when the car is locked.

Hacking is a criminal offence...... designing a engine managment system that can be hacked should also be a criminal offence as it could lead to the driver losing control of his or her vehicle with fatal consequences.

The "cure" is a pen stick of "corrective" software the owner can plug into the car's USB socket. The only safe cure is a pair of cutters to severe the hardware links between the engine management and the entertainment system.

Sponsored Links
It will be interesting to see owners trying to get their car back to the dealer :D

God damn ! so many instances - All those casualties - Having design responsibility for this debacle should carry a sentence of 12 months in
Guantanamo how's yer father, at a minimum ! Failing that, sentenced to live in multicultural London without a parking space and no Google translator !!

Sponsored Links
Nothing new here. James Bond's BMW could be driven remotely using a smartphone.

Seriously, though, hackers could conceivably control the car's engine management system, but steering it would be another matter entirely.

The major hazard will be when the hackers fake the system into creating a full throttle command putting the vehicle into high acceleration and reaching a speed at which the driver cannot maintain control.

Many years ago a car with a protoype engine management system was being driven by an experienced test driver on a test route along alpine roads. As it came out of a tunnel the car accelerated at full throttle. The driver lost control and went off the road and down a steep drop. The fall was broken by trees and the driver survived but with severe injuries. The cause was that above the tunnel portal there was the TV transmitter for the valley. The TV signal swamped the electronics in the engine management system which produced a full throttle command. Since then the engine management systems have been put into screened boxes to prevent a similar accident.

Think I would rather go back to the old days where the driver made decisions and listened out for strange noises and odd behaviour.

Blimey - a Daily Mail headline if ever there was one!

Two blokes with a laptop, mobile internet connectivity, a detailed knowledge of the hardware & software in the vehicle in question and a lot of time producing the result have managed to take partial control of a vehicle.

Last year, just under 200,000 people were killed or injured on the UK roads in cars where humans had control (or not!)

I'm not too worried about the geeks taking control of my vehicle - I'm more concerned about the drunk driver, the teenager, the crap drivers and myself not having control!

I see the post deletion fairies have been active again...

Blimey - a Daily Mail headline if ever there was one!

Two blokes with a laptop, mobile internet connectivity, a detailed knowledge of the hardware & software in the vehicle in question and a lot of time producing the result have managed to take partial control of a vehicle.

Last year, just under 200,000 people were killed or injured on the UK roads in cars where humans had control (or not!)

I'm not too worried about the geeks taking control of my vehicle - I'm more concerned about the drunk driver, the teenager, the crap drivers and myself not having control!

Not concerned at all about every journey you make being tracked by a prying, security obsessed government ?

As it goes remote control would be safer, the problem we have is the people in control of the system are susceptible to manipulation by 'external' forces, until everything is handed over to a evangelical robot we will suffer the consequences of unlawful government surveillance which for the most part has not proven to make us any safer if you look at the statistics.

Blimey - this paranoia seems to be spreading!

I'm glad you pointed out the potential for the government to track my every move although I'm not sure how this relates to the original topic. If somebody wants to track my every move then they can already do that - my mobile phone leaves a trail, my credit and debit cards leave a trail, the umpteen cctv/anpr cameras follow my every move - oh no my secret life is over!!!

I'd love to meet your 'evangelical robot' !

Get a grip!

Blimey - this paranoia seems to be spreading!

I'm glad you pointed out the potential for the government to track my every move although I'm not sure how this relates to the original topic. If somebody wants to track my every move then they can already do that - my mobile phone leaves a trail, my credit and debit cards leave a trail, the umpteen cctv/anpr cameras follow my every move - oh no my secret life is over!!!

I'd love to meet your 'evangelical robot' !

Get a grip!

You're quice simply wrong, if we were all like you we would have no rights left at all.

If you can prove to me that unlawful surveillance makes you or I any safer please post it, otherwise it's a conversation that I've noticed never gets anywhere and often results in nasty/abusive comments.

Don't tell me to get a grip, it's you that should

I'm no fan of the current level of snooping and surveillance that exist (although Id like you to clarify 'unlawful surveillance').

You can avoid it if you choose too - don't use devices that track and monitor your activity, use good old fashioned post rather than email, don't use network connected PC's etc etc.

If you can prove to me that machine controlled existence will be any better than human controlled existence then feel to post those findings up as well - my router has had to be re-booted twice this week, I'm not sure I'd like technology to be any more in control than it already is.

My reference to you getting a grip was a reference to the last line of your post with seems to place total trust in technology - exactly who is commissioning and running your brave new world?

Sponsored Links
Back