Made Hole to big more Mortice lock and can only get one screw in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted my first mortice lock yesterday and made the hole slightly to big. I can screw the top screw in but there is nothing to screw the bottom hole into it I have tried going in at an angle but no luck.

Can I fill the hole with something and screw into it, Could I use no more nails?

Or should I try fit a small dowel or matchsticks then glue and screw?

Any help would be good.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Shape a piece of wood to replace the wood cut out by mistake. Make it such that it will be a tight fit when the lock is pushed into place. Then put some wood glue on it and push it and the lock into place. You need to get it right first time as the lock may resist effect to remove it. When the screwe is screwed in the bit of wood might split but as it is squeezed between the lock and the timber of the door it will hold the screw securely

on top off bernards suggestions
tight but not too tight
selotape or other tape on the lock in the glue area to stop glue penetration or adhesion
and make sure it works fully incase it does get stuck in place

Sponsored Links
I sometimes wrap the lock case in cling film to prevent glue or filler in the mortice adhering to the lock

If you drill a pilot hole in your wooden block it is less likely to split when screwed. You can use an extra-long screw to reach sound timber.

I have used no-more-nails type adhesives as they are gap-filling so the block need not be a precise fit and you can smooth it so the lock case is snug. It may take a day or two to harden. Same with the staple in the frame if, like me, you are not very good at woodwork.

Get at least a 20mm X 20mm piece of timber glued in to the bottom, when it's set you can then chisel back to correct dimension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back