Magna clean - is it required for a totally new system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been speaking to a number of local heating engineers to understand what boilers etc. they fit and to see if it is the type of work they do i.e. an installation and I was confused by the following:

One said that they did not fit a magna clean to a totally new system as it would be flushed clean and therefore no need for it.

I thought magna cleans were recommended full stop?

Another suggested that a power flush would be the best first step to assess the system before deciding which boiler and configuration it is converted to.

We have a 40 year old system with downstairs pipes in concrete – I cannot see the point of a powerflush to then decide to replace the whole lot?

On another issue – if I can get roughly 30 litres per min flow from kitchen tap is this indicative of a suitable flow rate and pressure for combi or unvented system? From what I have read elsewhere I know it is a combination of flow and pressure but isn’t one (flow in this instance) indicative of the other?

Any thoughts gladly received

Sponsored Links
I would put a Magnaclean on any system. If the system starts to deteriorate the Maganclean will stop the build up of sludge.

30 litres a minute is fine indeed.

Flow = High throughput

Pressure = Force

you can have a 5 inch pipe with huge flow and zero pressure, or an 8mm pipe with huge pressure and low flow.

So no...flow does not indicate good pressure! However at 30 ltrs per min then it does sound fine!!

Magnaclean is a must!!

Sponsored Links
I would beg to differ. Magnaclean have recently had to upgrade the valves becasue earlier models had poor durability.

They have only recently brought out a hairy muff version to catch non-magnetic debris.

The Spirovent is a patented dirt remover and deaerator and was brought out well over 30 years ago. It does the same job as Magnaclean Twintech but is proven to be durable.

Why are you all not recommending that? And why were you not fitting it 20 yrs back?

In my view the Magnaclean has its place but I would never call it essential. If you have a clean new system it is a pointless accessory superbly marketed. If you intend to never have your system serviced or the inhibitor checked, then you may need one.

But that sort of person would never clean the bl**dy magnaclean out anyway, rendering it useless after the first fill.

Are you blokes all on Adey commission or something? :rolleyes:

Quite simply the Spirovent was never marketed for the domestic market, and I doubt 90% of domestic plumber would know one if they saw it.

personally I've fitted alot of fernox boiler buddys with a seperate Y strainer and auto air vent, does the same job as the spirovent and is very compact. I do like the magnacleans too though.

personally I've fitted alot of fernox boiler buddys with a seperate Y strainer and auto air vent, does the same job as the spirovent and is very compact. I do like the magnacleans too though.

I have been somewhat put off Magnaclean with a few faulty valves and recently leaking valves. If they hadn't leaked on day 1, what about day 14 when I wasn't around..?

Im on Simons side. Have a look at a the Spirovent site. They have now got on the act with putting a magnet inside.

Avoid Y strainers as they block easily.

Boiler buddy? Well look at the design - 'nuff said! Relies on pump valves which we know how temperamental they are and have you tried to clean the magnetic 'tongs' of one? waste of money.

All systems were new and clean once.

Over time they get old and dirty.

But not true about aLL central heating systems

JohnD why would your statement be right......And why would it be so wrong

I never fit one on new systems. Hot flush with X300 then flush each rad out with cold water. Once treated properly wheres the iron oxide going to come from, especially on a sealed system?

Sludge etc is caused usually from the f&e being open to atmosphere and the water not being treated correctly.

I would beg to differ. Magnaclean have recently had to upgrade the valves becasue earlier models had poor durability.

They have only recently brought out a hairy muff version to catch non-magnetic debris.

The Spirovent is a patented dirt remover and deaerator and was brought out well over 30 years ago. It does the same job as Magnaclean Twintech but is proven to be durable.

Why are you all not recommending that? And why were you not fitting it 20 yrs back?

In my view the Magnaclean has its place but I would never call it essential. If you have a clean new system it is a pointless accessory superbly marketed. If you intend to never have your system serviced or the inhibitor checked, then you may need one.

But that sort of person would never clean the bl**dy magnaclean out anyway, rendering it useless after the first fill.

Are you blokes all on Adey commission or something? :rolleyes:

If the Spirovent does what the Magnaclean Twintech does then why do you say the Magnaclean has its place? Does the Spirovent catch magnetic particles? Does it catch "all" solids in the water inc magnetic? The Spirovent is better priced and is better made.

I agree entirely with SimonD. :eek:

WHile the sludge problem isn't new, the older systems get, the more relevant it is, so it's more of an issue than 20 years ago.

Haven't really investigated the Spirovent magnets, but the Magnaclean ones are particularly good. Much stronger than Boiler Buddy's.

I hope Adey gets his quality/durability issues really sorted, the trouble is, we won't be certain before a few years of use!

Tks for your replies.

I guess for the amount they cost and extra time taken to install it, it is probably worthwhile to have one of these 'cleaners' for a new system.

Any comment on power flushing as a first step? Isn't it likely to be throwing good money after bad :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back