1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Magna Clean Valves Arrrrrrrgh

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by avidfan, 11 Feb 2009.

1. avidfan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Cleaned out a magnaclean today, turned back on the valves and guess what? Yes they leaked. Rang Adley, they could send me a new pair for £14 but no suppliers stock them. Great. Managed to do a temp fix by wrapping ptfe around the spindle then tightening up the handle screw. Are these the screw type pump valves of the 21st century I ask myself.

2. dangermouse46

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Happens all the time, that's why I think the spirovent magnabooster is a better product.

3. Mr Smyth

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Spoke to a rep from Magnalean at a BG Event, he assured me that they would not fail. I suggested that if that was the case they should be making pump valves!!! He claimed that the magnet would draw the sludge away from the valve and this was why it would not fail

They are hopeless. I don't touch the valves if I can help it. I stick a bucket under it bung the system and then wind out the magnet and replace it with a spare clean one quickly. If your organised this can be done without spillage.

We have fitted a lot and now attend to many leaks. We have also upgraded ones of a certain serial no. due to a fault.

Good bit of kit, let down by the valves

4. keego

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Magna Clean provide 4 spare O rings with every filter, did you ask the customer if they were left with them when it was fitted.

5. avidfan

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Magna clean is approx 2 years old. Customer had spanner and paperwork but no o rings. Didn't know they came with any. Is this a recent thing?

6. Dan_Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yeah its fairly recent.

I have lots of the red handled valves leak but none of the black ones so far.

However, we stick Lever valves either side anyway just to be sure.