Main Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Image220.jpg

I have been asked to install some lights and a couple of sockets in this barn. It will be used for keeping sheeps and maybe some cows in.

The lights / switches / sockets will all be IP rated accesories, and the wiring will all be in PVC tubing.

There will be a light switch for the lights in each bay of the barn located on the two pieces of vertical steelwork nearest to the front of the picture.

The steelwork is concreted into the ground, but each 'goalpost' bit of steelwork is seperate from each other, bieng conneted with timber beams for the roof.

Does this steelwork require any bonding, and if so does each leg need doing, or would this cause problems with it being an agricultural installation, and livestock etc.?

The supply is either a T-N-CS or a TN-S (I really can't remember)

The whole of the farm part of the installation is protected by a 30mA RCD

Sponsored Links
out comes special locations pages!!!!!!!

would reg 542-02-01 apply in this case?

Those bits of metal are merely a bracket for attatching the timbers to. They do not span the steels.

What about making this part of the install TT? Is that allowed?

It is not really a building, more of a shelter. I would be inclinded not to bond - You do not bond the greenhouse if you put a socket 'near' to it.

In saying that, farms are meant to have all extraneous and exposed parts bonded together to prevent stray voltages. In milking parlours they even place mesh into the concrete screed. Any metalwork in the parlour is usually welded together and to this grid.

Sponsored Links
in case you missed my edit,
what about reg 542-02-01 will it need an earth if it is an earth?

dont know much about this as last farm i did i was an apprentice

25V touch and 0.2s disconnect times....

reg 605-08-02 ( paraphrasing )...

bond it if the sheep can touch it..

check with the conduit and fitting manu's that they are ok to use in livestock areas..

amonia can affect some conduits..

I remember seeing a post somewhere saying that some livestock wouldn't go near a water trough! Once they had put a rod in they were ok. Personally I would TT everything in that shed and bond all steel work!! Also make sure that all sockets & switches are well out of the way of the animals cause they will break it very easily especially if you are using plastic conduit etc!!

1) As has been said, check out the special requirements for touch voltages etc for farm/livestock buildings.

2) Cattle can deliver one hell of a kick - are you sure plastic conduit is OK?

3) I'll always remember the words of an old shepherd I saw on TV once, giving advice to a young sheep farmer:

"The sheep's an animal as loves to die."

I would recommend bonding the joists, and using your own earth (making it TT)

I would bring the feed via SWA into a CU on the brickwork (at a decent height) and have a main rcd switch - feed onto two 20 amp mcb's, one for each double socket and a 6 amp one (or 10 amp) via a switch for your lighting.

Use a separate earth rod, you should get very good resistance in the type of soil there. Connect that earth rod to the bar in the CU, then just run a separate earth cable from the CU upto the first joist, along to the 2nd and then the 3rd. Dont trust the crossbeams (looks like theres small steel beams) for continuity between the 3 main ones.

Simply do the whole lot in SWA :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back