Main Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Came across this today at a friend's house.
It is the main bonding for the gas meter and all it is is a loop bonded to the water pipe at the sink.
There is no bonding at the water stop cock either.
This is as a result of a major extension done to the building and the electrical work was carried out by a registered NICEIC contractor who apparently did complete an EIC?

[/img]

Sponsored Links
NO not as far as I can see. There are two earth cables going into the CU but these look to be both supplementary cables.
The CU is situated in the garage and the gas meter backs onto the garage wall and there are certainly no earths coming through from there.
When I get a chance to speak to the owner (probably Saturday) I'll explain it to her then and she can decide what action she wants to take.

I'd be getting the contractor back in to rectify it properly. I take it that the contractor was meant to be a NICEIC domestic installer?
They don't appear to know the difference between main and supplementary bonding!
See if you can have a look at the certificate too.

Sponsored Links
Apparently the contractor is quite a big firm certainly not a domestic one.
I hope to be able to have a look at the certificate when I see her on Saturday. But my guess is she won't pursue them.
I had to correct a socket that was previously left dangling on the end of a dry-wall moulded box meant for the fridge. Also a badly fitted socket and adjoining FCU in the kitchen.

luminaire";p="1143784 said:
NO not as far as I can see. There are two earth cables going into the CU but these look to be both supplementary cables.
quote]

supps usually 4 or 6mm rarely 10mm mains bonds should be be min 10mm or ideally 16mm depends on the standard 16th or 17th and supply type

Agreed, the two cables going into the CU were 4mm, that's why I said they were for supplementary bonding.
Probably, from the old bathroom and new ensuite that was fitted.

Supplementary equipotential bonding as required for special locations such as bathrooms doesn't need to connect to the MET.

Supplementary equipotential bonding as required for special locations such as bathrooms doesn't need to connect to the MET.

agreed but don't forget there was once a time when 4mm was the norm! give it 20 years and the powers that be will have A. increased it to 30mm or B. done away with bonding altogether. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

They are too small for main bonding, that's why I'm assuming they are supplementaries going to the earth bar in the CU.
Also where the gas meter is fitted in the utility room against the garage wall the obvious route for the main bonding would be through the wall and along to the CU. Basically I would expect to see something similar from the water stop-cock, although it is in the kitchen but I would have expected to see it from the garage.

agreed but don't forget there was once a time when 4mm was the norm!

Yep, but if it is undersized for modern day requirements then before carrying out any electrical additions or alterations he should have upgraded it.

Thanks for the replies kevindgas and Spark123, I will let you know the outcome when I see the owner on Sunday.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back