Main causes of boiler break down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum in an effort to reduce the chances of her boiler breaking down fills her sink for dish washing with water she boils on the stove. In the winter she has the heating on but not usually for very long. I was wondering whether trying to use the boiler as little as possible actually has any effect on the longevity of the boiler or whether more frequent use might actually be better for it?

Sponsored Links
Ah so she has a boiler ? well those ones are best left ????

It's difficult to tell because of your poor grammar, but was that meant to be a snide remark?

I say again: will the longevity of the boiler be increased, unaffected or decreased by infrequent use? In case the boiler design is relevant, it's a Glow-worm Betacom 24.

In my experience your best just using it as normal it doesn't make a big difference , the biggest cause for breakdowns is poor water quality both mains and central heating, and poor installation and commissioning of the boiler.
The other is wrong application of an appliance e.g a combi to run a restaurant were hot water is off and on constantly.
So just tell your gran to use it. And if u can afford take a care plan out with a reputable company One of big 6 are usually cheapest and best. For piece of mind.

Sponsored Links
I have to say boilers break down if not serviced properly as indicated by the makers. Care plans are not worthwhile as end user will most likely get someone who only checks the boiler at service interval instead of carrying out proper service

Have to say agree with what James says apart from care plan idea as regularly attend dead boilers that have missing screws and in terrible state earmarked for replacement as customer is told no parts available. A proper service then magically revives the boiler

Find someone who knows what he is doing, use the boiler as needed. Get the boiler serviced as detailed in the manual.

Find a good local engineer and keep it serviced properly, the big boys will not do this.

Some of the things already mentioned. System water quality poor installation, lack of servicing.

When an Engineer services your boiler properly he is doing a lot more than just sticking a probe in your flue and eating your finest biscuits. He will be following the Manufactures schedule and through experience he will be looking for common issues with your boiler or any little weeps ect that might cause bigger problems later on.

Tell her to use the boiler as intended, some parts may wear with use, a bit like tyres on a car. No point in having a carpet you can't walk on, a Setee you can't sit on and china you can't drink from. ( sounds like my nan )

I could go on but I think I made my point

Lack of servicing and old age is the reason most boilers give up.
Boilers last a very long time, good value when you consider that for a few grand It will give decades of service, a new car drops the same amount the minute you drive it off the forecourt!
No point in using a boiler sparingly for twenty odd years only to find when it finally needs a part it’s obsolete!

Common faults are thermostatic valves sticking because they have been off all summer and pumps sticking after the system has been left off for some time. Much better for her to use it and stay warm.

Like other things use it before you loose it!

Mind you chances are if you do get her to use it sods law says it would go wrong next week and she will say “there I told you so“! :D

So just tell your gran to use it. And if u can afford take a care plan out with a reputable company One of big 6 are usually cheapest and best. For piece of mind

My daughter's current boyfriend is a gas fitter. He does servicing work for British Gas. He is paid the princely sum of £20.02 to "service a boiler" which is checking the gases with a meter and the gas pressure.

He hates it but can't get enough of his own work, mainly he says because the big guys have stolen the market

My mum in an effort to reduce the chances of her boiler breaking down fills her sink for dish washing with water she boils on the stove. In the winter she has the heating on but not usually for very long. I was wondering whether trying to use the boiler as little as possible actually has any effect on the longevity of the boiler or whether more frequent use might actually be better for it?

I wondered what hot water system she has for the bathroom?

If for instance she has a hot water cylinder, does she use an immersion heater only when required and otherwise only the stove for kitchen use? Or is the boiler a combi in which case she should simply just use it.

My point is, gas is cheaper to heat water than an electric immersion heater. A well lagged cylinder is still a good source for hot water. A poorly lagged cylinder...well what she does would not be a bad idea!

It has been proven 26/9 checks or non invasive servicing prolongs the life span of modern boilers, stripping and rebuilding is no good for these modern boilers old cast iorn heatexchangers fine but new ones just don't like it.
I said get a care plan as if it breaks so what its covered no worries call them them out and jobs sorted, none of the usual stuff " its either PCB or fan love ill try cheapest first but your paying for both " even if one is not reqired. Big 6 will just throw parts at it till it works and at no extra cost to you I recommend it to all my family and I am a gas engineer.

It has been proven 26/9 checks or non invasive servicing prolongs the life span of modern boilers, stripping and rebuilding is no good for these modern boilers old cast iorn heatexchangers fine but new ones just don't like it.
I said get a care plan as if it breaks so what its covered no worries call them them out and jobs sorted, none of the usual stuff " its either PCB or fan love ill try cheapest first but your paying for both " even if one is not reqired. Big 6 will just throw parts at it till it works and at no extra cost to you I recommend it to all my family and I am a gas engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back