main combi 24 HE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I have a main combi 24 he boiler, and its not working well at all...

3 years ago 2009, this boiler was brill, however year later (2010)after its first service it's giving me problems.

When I am using the hot water, the boiler turns on, after 30secs or so the water gets warm. This was never the case. I then get water for less than a minute before it goes cold. This lasts for approx 20sec before it then gets scolding hot and this then takes approx 10sec to go to the original warm temp again...

Looking at the boiler confirms this, I turn the boiler on 10-15sec the flame light kicks in water gets warm. Then the flame light goes off (this is when the water gets cold) then the flame ligh comes on (this is where I burn myself and start swearing in the shower)... This happens all the time, no matter where I am in the house using the hot taps.

I've been told its cos the water is been used inu the house, someone is using water on the street and someone has flushed the toilet in Australia...

So, I've had 3 boiler men come to the house to fix said boiler...

It's been re-wired
5 pcb boards have been replaced
(All this has been in 2012)

There's no leaks in the boiler, no dents, always gas in it. Never any fault lights or anything. Now I could be wrong. It might be the pcb board. But my luck can't be that bad that 5 of these things keep going.

Is there a reason for them doing this???

Any ideas what it could be???

Anything that I could try or do? other than replacing the boiler as my landlord is a cheap ass tw#t and won't replace it.

Sponsored Links
If i was a landlord, I'd be cheap if i'd paid out for 5 PCBs to idiots who don't know what they're doing.

What you're describing are classic symptoms of a blocked plate heat exchanger, Boiler Repair 101. It could be a few other things, gubbed thermistor being next in line, but blocked phex is top suspect.

That part is around the £50 mark (plus a tenner for new o-rings) and should take not much more than 20 mins to fit. If he wants to protect against it happening again he could get a magnetic filter fitted (around £90 for the part) and could maybe also consider a chemical cleanse with x800 or similar. This would be particularly advisable since it doesn't sound like the system was cleaned properly, if at all, when the boiler was installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back