Main combi 30 he - frozen pipes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a main combi 30 he boiler. As we have a young baby we usually got our heating constantly on low. However, we were out all day yesterday for christmas and made the stupid mistake of turning the heating off, then got home to what we think was a frozen condensate pipe. When we put the heating on the radiators did warm slightly for a minute or two, then the boiler cut out and we were left in the cold. As our condensate pipe exits the house high up, we spent ages going up and down the ladder pouring warm water over the pipes to defrost them. After a while we could hear crackling as if the ice was dislodging. But we still got no heating or hot water. I reset the boiler, it roars into life but I don’t think its actually igniting, you can hear as if its trying, but the light to show its ignited doesn’t come on, and after a while it kind of gives up and the error light flashes for 'flame failure or blocked condensate drain'. If anyone could advise us on anything we can try before calling someone out we would be very grateful. And sorry if my explanation sounds very basic, I really haven't got a clue about anything like this but if you need anymore info then I will try. Thank you so much in advance!

Sponsored Links
The condensate "trap" right hand side inside boiler has two wires connected to two terminals on it they get wet when your trap fills due to blockage/freeze and even though your pipe is now clear if the terminals are still wet they will make a circuit and lock your boiler out.Try drying the terminals and the trap with a hair dryer.

Sorry, but, I would suggest getting an engineer out as the problem, although probably quite simple, is most likely within the combustion door, sealed chamber so is not a DIY job.

No not insde the combustion "chamber of horrors" It is behind the front panel,the part that you sometimes need to remove to access the serial number....

Sponsored Links
Condesate trap was full. Condesate pipe drains into down pipe, condesate pipe wasn't frozen but down pipe was. Condesate tray was full of water, therefore drained that, allowed the two sensors that you were talking about baxmax to dry, and have left condesate pipe to drain into a bucket until outside pipes are thawed. Working fine :D

Condesate trap was full. Condesate pipe drains into down pipe, condesate pipe wasn't frozen but down pipe was. Condesate tray was full of water, therefore drained that, allowed the two sensors that you were talking about baxmax to dry, and have left condesate pipe to drain into a bucket until outside pipes are thawed. Working fine :D

With the potential of having products of combustion coming into the room.....wonderful solution. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back