Mains cable/Alarm cable in same conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. If I were to run 12-15 Mains T&E cables in the same conduit as approx 10 6 core alarm cables is there a chance of false alarms as a result of capacitive coupling?

If so are there any steps I can take to reduce the chances?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Is the alarm cable shielded or unshielded? Its always best to avoid long parallel runs, but I cant say I have ever had false alarms due to this (I have a few installations where this was unavoidable). Are you laying the mains cable or the alarm cable btw?

Thanks for reply

I've a 100m roll of unshielded. I'm relocating the alarm panel from skirting level at front door to cupboard under stairs. the longest parallel run would only be about 2 meters

Many thanks

ah ok, you made it sound like you was going to be running the mains cable :p So I was going to mention derating of the circuits etc... lol I cant imagine you would get much of an issue with interference. It might not be possible but can you place the panel on the other side of the cupboard and have its own trunking/conduit? That certainly would help any possible interference and/or disruption should there be any electrical work where the alarm cables might get damaged etc..

Sponsored Links
I can't answer categorically but I was taught never to do that, only to cross at 90 degrees, never had a problem

Mains cable should be ran separate to alarm cable otherwise you will get enduced ac voltage on your alarm cables which can cause false alarms when lights are turned on or central heating starts up etc ?
If you get at multimeter and set range to ac and put positive probe on 12v positive and the negative probe on earth.If you get a reading of more than 2 volts ac then that is bad news.
You can use a 1313 filter to reduce the ac induced voltage.
Also depends on control panel make.Some control panels are worst than other for main interence(gardtec 500,800 series,scantronic)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back