Mains powered linked smoke alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a typical 2up 2down house with a kitchen extension at the rear and bathroom on top of the kitchen. We have knocked down the wall between kitchen and dining room and supported it with RSJs. We have no wall between lounge and dining room so a completely open plan layout downstairs from front door to rear door. BCO has okayed RSJ but has asked for following:

1. Re plaster Kitchen ceiling with pink(fire) plaster
2. Cover RSJs with pink(fire) plaster
3. Mains operated linked smoke alarms x 3

I understand the first two and will have it done. I asked an electrician and he said you shouldn't need a linked alarm, ask LABC to reconfirm.

Will someone please explain to me which/how/where do these alarms need to be fitted?

Sponsored Links
Ask building control to clarify - they know what they want while we can only guess.

The issue is that by removing walls, a fire in the kitchen will quickly make escape from upstairs difficult. So they want good early warning.

Sponsored Links
To be honest I'd recommend investing in decent smoke alarms for anyone. I think you can get free smoke alarms from most brigades, but they're only battery ones, so wouldn't suit the op.

I think you can get free smoke alarms from most brigades, but they're only battery ones
Yes in most cases they are battery, so the brigade staff can fit them quickly in the right places. Wired alarms can be be fitted by an electrician who has been told where the Brigade would have fitted the battery ones..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back