Maintained or Non maintained battery backup light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For ammusement really.

Picture this. A garage which can't be connected to mains power (i.e to the house), but is only 20m away so easy to run an extension lead to it every now and then.

Would it work if I were to fit an emergency strip light in the garage, charge it up via extension lead, and have a switch to turn it on and off for very brief periods when needed?

Would the battery keep charge ok ?
Would I need a non maintained one ?

Is it a goer ?

Sponsored Links
I can imagine that getting really annoying, really quickly.

If you can run an extension lead out there, surely you can run a more permanent solution out there?

Perhaps another solution might be to have a battery pack that you could charge in the house and then plug in, in the garage? Few LED lights and a Lithium Polymer battery pack. Might want to charge that in the garage though. Oh wait....

Another option might be to put a solar panel on the roof?

Sponsored Links
The cable would have to go across a tarmaced shared area.

Yeah LED lights and solar charger would be a sensible option.

But stick with my idea for fun.. I guess not many have tried to see whether they remain charged.

Remember that with most of the larger size emergency units the tube is only run at about 20% power when in battery mode....

Could you get an emergency light with a lead and a plug on it, and leave it plugged in at home.

Then unplug it when you go to the garage, and simply place it in the garage, without plugging it in.

Then take it home and plug it in.

A non maintained light is best for that application.

I was hoping to use a 5 ft tube.

But now ive been reminded that they are dim on battery power, I've gone off the idea.

I would be looking at a solar 12v battery charger, 12v lead acid battery and 12 volt LED light. You find all the parts at a good caravan shop.

Would it work if I were to fit an emergency strip light in the garage, charge it up via extension lead, and have a switch to turn it on and off for very brief periods when needed?

Would the battery keep charge ok ?
Would I need a non maintained one ?

Is it a goer ?

An emergency luminaire does not switch when power is removed - it goes into emergency mode and therefore will remain illuminated when power is removed until the battery is flat.

You can hack up the leads inside to switch the battery pack off, it's a bit messy but will work.

I'd put the battery pack switch at the entrance as an ordinary 'light switch' then just plug in the whole garage with your extension lead to switch main lighting on with no other light switching. Keeps things uncomplicated.

Battery will last for ages. I've got an emergency light bought 3 years ago that I haven't wired and it's still fine.

we do a lot of shopfitting and get old 8watt bulkheads

Few of the lads have fitted female Iec connecters and drilled and fitted a toggle switch on the battery + lead.
by plugging in with a kettle lead for a few hours beforehand make a handy rechargable light for board changing,etc.

A maintained version can also be used as a light plugged in on mains and as back up if something goes wrong with the supply whilst working,

You could do similar with a fleurescent but as previously said it may need a few hours charge to last .
A HF fitting will last longer with a shorter charge than a switchstart fitting

We have also found a few fittings wired up wrong and therefore discharging on a daily basis when stores close and it dont seem to affect the fittings too much, but unsure if it would ruin the battery or invertor if done for years.

Some fittings suffer if drained too much , i think they call it Deep Discharge, but if you switch the battery lead it will help prevent this and partly the reason you are advised with new fittings not to connect the battery until your ready to power up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back