Making a hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I drill a couple of holes in a mirror to take screws for fixing to the wall ????

Fergy

Sponsored Links
you could buy a drill tip from B&Q but if you have not drilled mirror before risky. you can also buy mirror clips from such as B&Q that drill the wall then hold the mirror without drilling the mirror.
Another method use mirror adhesive and glue it to the wall.

or take the mirror to local glass merchant who will drill it for you for a small consideration. but if it breaks the risk is usually yours.

think this has covered most of your options.

If you do attempt to drill holes, you will need (as well as using the right bit) to keep it lubricated with oil or paraffin, inside a dam made of Plasticine.

But I'm inclined to agree with John, it's best avoided.

An alternative to using metal clips is to make rebated wooden pieces to hold the mirror at top and bottom edges, and screw these to the wall (which is the method I prefer).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

It's not me that wants the holes in the mirror, it's my next door neighbour but as he doesn't have a computer, I was asking on his behalf. My own advice was to use some clear silicon sealer as an adhesive to fix the mirror to the tiles.
I will pass on your comments but will recommend that he takes JohnD's short and concise advice.
If he doe's decide to have a go at it, I will let you know the outcome.

Cheers.

Fergie.

If you advise him to use silicone make sure its low modulus neutral cure or the acetones will damage the silvering.

Which just goes to show that you learn something new every day.

Cheers wms

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back