Making a window box seat in front of a radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to build a window box seat to go right across our bay window. I'd like it to mainly be for storage of toys etc and to provide extra seating.

My worry is that there is a radiator right across the back of the bay. The radiator literally fills the wall at the back right up the window sill. The window seat wouldn't be as high as the radiator but would cover most of it.

I'm thinking that if I made a radiator cover first with vents in the top and the top of the front face. I could then make the window seat to go in front of it.

Would this let out enough heat? The way we used to have the living room - we had the sofa in the bay across the front of the radiator covering the full height although it was kept a little bit away from the rad.

The only other thing I could think was to perhaps have a little void underneath as well with vents at the front to let a little heat dissipate underneath but as heat rises I'm not sure how much benefit this would have?

Any thoughts? Anyone done anything like this?

Sponsored Links
I put vent to rear of seat and also at front base to allow thru flow, you could add a small fan to make it more efficient.

a radiator cover will reduce the efficiency by perhaps15 - 30% you then add a box you will further reduce efficiency as a lot off the heat output comes out the grill on the front that will be part covered by the box

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back