Making hole in wall to fit window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently building an upstairs bathroom from scratch as the original is located downstairs. Having split the largest bedroom down the middle via a stud wall I now need to install a window.

How difficult would it be to break a hole in the brickwork to install a small window? What is the best way to do this? It would be overlooking the driveway and planning permission would not be needed. Would I need to hire a scaffold tower?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I would be very surprised if you don’t need PP as it alters the external appearance; I certainly needed it for the 3 new windows I’ve just completed! You will certainly need to involve your local council building control. Easiest way is to cut the external brickwork with a bloody great, petrol driven disc cutter (easier & less frightening than it looks) then carefully drill out & knock through the internal wall (hopefully blockwork). You will also need to remove some additional internal blockwork above to get a suitable sized lintel in. You will probably need a scaffold tower to work from; I certainly wouldn’t like to use a disc cutter on a ladder! I had 2 windows done professionally & tackled a third myself , one day each window for them but it took me 2 days.

Cheers guys, I may try and bash out the brick myself but get contractors in to fit it. Was told planning permission was no tneeded as is a 1930s house but will notify them anyway.

Sponsored Links
laurence1976 said:
Cheers guys, I may try and bash out the brick myself but get contractors in to fit it.
I may be taking you literally but you really do need to use either a disc cutter or drill out all the mortar around the bricks around the edge of the window & then dog tooth individually, new 1/2 bricks in - very time consuming!

Bashing out bricks with a club hammer & chisel will crack & dislodge all the surrounding mortar & brickwork & you will never get a neat straight edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back