Making your own bathroom cabinets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

New here.

I was wondering about making our own bathroom cabinets. What is the best wood etc. I had seen something on TV and they had used marine ply, and it looked lovely stained and varnished.

And also for a counter top...I had wanted to use solid wood rather then laminate, and with a baby belfast sink.

We are planning on attempting it ourselves. I maybe have overly grand ideas! I have a wee sketch here of what is in my head.....
View media item 83380

Sponsored Links
With all that wood don't you think it will be very dark----and very brown. :?:

What is the best wood?

Really depends on how much money you want to spend, and what you want.

Any class 3 bonded plywood would be suitable, would need sealing and protection against wetting, especially as lighter coloured species may be prone to mould without proper sealants.

MDF good for painting.

Melamine chipboard is cheap.

Solid wood around for counter tops = What do you want?

For solid wood counter tops, the species may affect how you do it (different timbers may come in different sizes, may be less or more stable, requiring thinner laminations).

Certainly there may be some inappropriate species in combination with certain build methods, but generally speaking choosing which wood to use is like choosing curtains.

What do you like, and how much can you afford.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back