Makita 18v combi drill any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
i had the hitachi which was fine, except the chuck is cheapo and a bit of a pain (undoing itself etc) oh, and the clutch would slip under heavy use as there is no lock, unlike the makita.

i now have a pair of makitas (very nice with a good quality chuck) i did get a 3ah 18v battery for my jigsaw and that mainly stays in the drill bag, but the 1.3s are fine as they charge quickly. depends what you do with them i guess.

they came off a screwfix £79.99 offer, so keep an eye open for that one coming around again (if it ever does that is)

Of those two I'd go for the Hitachi. The Makita is end of line as they are all LIon these days, still a good quality drill, though. The equivalent Makita 18v LIon LXT drill driver is £150 and a lovely bit of kit.

Sponsored Links
I own five Makita 7.2 volt battery drills & fast chargers. The first one was obtained around 25 to 30 years ago, brought from America as a gift to me from my then boss, ~ at the time they were unknown in the UK and it became a much talked about novelty when I used it on site. I am still using this actual drill/screwdriver on a daily basis, and have added the others over the years. As they all use the same type of battery, it makes a good portable kit, two with screwdriver bits, one with pilot size drill, one with clearance drill and a Countersink/general use drill for odds and ends. I used these all over the world for museum installation jobs until I retired, and they are now in daily use as I restore my Victorian house back to its original condition 'as built'. I have never had a moments trouble from any of these tools, they once even survived a flood, working perfectly once again after being dried out fully using silica gel cat litter. I have regreased the gears and bearings on one of them, and cleaned the switch with Servisol, however, this is the only maintenance ever performed. Over the years I have replaced several batteries of course, but have also bought many others second hand from car boot sales and now have around 12 batteries which function fully and have cost next to nothing, compared to buying just one new battery. I cannot recomend these drills enough, they will not let you down, and the twin speed version on low speed will easily set 4'' decking screws without predrilling, and will set around 150 to 200 30mm screws on a fully charged battery. They are also small, light and great for use on ladders, scaffolding or in awkward places. I own other drills, but these are the ones I use most! A good tip is to buy some thick section 'O' rings which fit tightly on the chuck. These make it easier to tighten or untighten by hand for changing drills etc, as the chuck is actually intended for use with a key and the rings give a better grip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back