Manhole cover vent stack replacement - help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know the technical terms, but there's a problem with the inspection chamber on my property through which all the sewage from my house and my neighbour's upstream flows, before it goes into the public system.

Just beyond the final U-bend is a 2-ft high cast-iron vent stack with a square-ish thing on top (AAV?). It's 100 years old and is breaking up. I want to replace it but don't know:-

- how to get it out without letting a lot of soil fall into the hole and risk blocking the sewer;

- whether you can get replacements and, if you can, what to ask for;

- whether sizes have changed since metrication and I'm stuffed;

- how to fit a replacement;

- what problems to expect.

Can anyone advise, please? Is it simple, or should I call a builder?

Sponsored Links
Buy a new mica flap for it :idea: that`s all there was in it what a waste of space those things are ;) . just stuff a big rag in it - it serves no useful purpose now - and Kev`s outside AAV`s are expensive : PS the final U bend is an interceptor trap - another pointless 19th Century relic - bit like trade unions :LOL:

Buy some concrete mix in a polythene bag. Cut pipe off below surface, mix concrete. Stuff the (empty) bag into pipe, make good with the concrete.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back